Chrome 17 With Web Page Prerendering Now for Download

Status
Not open for further replies.

claec

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Went to download the latest version... then I checked my current version and realized that Chrome had already silently updated itself... Ah Google, I love ya :)

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
I wasn't on the release version jokes before, but 17? Come on........ It sounds retarded. They're throwing out programming conventions in the trash. Not every patch is a new version. Holy crap.

joeman99

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
Am I the only one who thinks Chrome is a structural disaster? It launches every plugin and app as a separate process but all pages are rendered by a single process. This wouldn't be so be bad but if you are like me and launch a dozen or so pages at a time from your rss reader and have just one page hang on some flash code or the like then every single page crashes. At least IE and just restart the hung one. has a separate thread so you can still view the other pages. Heck even FF lets you switch to other tabs but Chrome refuses to budge, even on a tabs that had already been downloaded and viewed seconds ago. Google should start using irrational or imaginary numbers for this travesty's versioning...

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
I'm waiting for some kind of compiled webpage standard, so we stop sending utf8 strings of code over the tubes. That is the major page load limiter right now.

G

"Prerendering kicks in as soon as a user begins typing in the URL bar of the browser and Chrome auto-completes a site's address and determines high likelihood that the site is the intended destination."

I stopped using Google Chrome after following incident:

I was browsing the web, something related to artificial intelligence, and I was typing the actual address of the web site in the address bar. Without looking I pressed ENTER. What happened is that Chrome, instead of taking me to the web site, decided that I was looking for something else and took me to the web site which turned out to be brought down by my government due to pedofile content! It was not even close to what I typed into address bar!

It means that my government now probably has my IP and a record of me trying to access illegal web site.

This "prerendering" thing, if I understood it correctly, means that Google Chrome is fetching web pages from many web sites that Google Chrome "thinks" you want to access.

Good luck with that!

Horhe

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
I suppose Google uses all the data collected from your Gmail, YouTube, Google+ and other Google services accounts to guess what your next page is.

G

Has the Chrome team figured out how to implement a bookmark pane/sidebar? Maybe they could ask for help from any other browser development team.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]kronos_cornelius[/nom]You know this features means Google knows what you are going to do before you do.[/citation]

"Back to the future" with Chrome 17 because they know what you will want in the future; at least the VERY near future :)

rakesh_toms

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]"Back to the future" with Chrome 17 because they know what you will want in the future; at least the VERY near future :)[/citation]
Common guys, Google does not.know any ones future. Just our usual websites. The auto complete feature of most browsers already know this.

puddleglum

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]I wasn't on the release version jokes before, but 17? Come on........ It sounds retarded. They're throwing out programming conventions in the trash. Not every patch is a new version. Holy crap.[/citation]Yeah. They should just go with some kind of year.month version numbering like ubuntu.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Reminds me of the McDonalds 'Customers Served' advertisements on their signs back in the 90's... Even had a 'Cave Man' edition in the first live Flintstones movie (xx Dozens Served)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS