Chrome Climbed Above Firefox in Market Share Ranking

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Interesting how google have gone from a data stealing company to saviour of the universe.

Apparently selling your data makes your browser go faster.

G

Each time google touch something it became first, boring

Posted from a Virtual Private Desktop "VPU"

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
So? No problem wuth that. Chrome is great. I personally prefer FF, but "market share" is only important to a "common user" who judges products by the amount of people who use them. Also, "market share" doesn't seem like an appropriate term since both browsers are free.

ljj0772

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
[citation][nom]Goldengoose[/nom]Has anyone confirmed whether StatCounter is actually accurate considering the majority of FF users have noscript?[/citation]

got the point

puddleglum

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
[citation][nom]tical2399[/nom]Unless I can get something like ad block plus in chrome without a bunch of work arounds i'll stick with FF[/citation]
??? Just install it from the Chrome site like you do with Firefox from their site. It sped up my Chrom even faster than before. Speed is the whole reason I switched from Firefox. Firefox is just too dog gone slow.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
I'm sticking with Firefox. I have to questions these numbers. I don't know a single person who uses Chrome. I suspect most FF users are not being properly accounted for.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
I wonder if MS plastered "Use IE" all over the homepage of Google it would increase IE usage.
Some might say that Google doing it with Chrome is an unfair monopoly, seeing as they get free advertising in the browser choice screen of Windows.
Antitrust lawsuit in 3...2...1...

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Well, since every laptop manufacturer advertises Windows 7, it's still balanced :D And there can't be a "trust" if you're advertising your own FREE product on your website :)

jblack

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Goldengoose[/nom]Has anyone confirmed whether StatCounter is actually accurate considering the majority of FF users have noscript?[/citation]

You don't need Javascript to determine what browser someone is using.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]Pherule[/nom]Mass advertising will do wonders for you.[/citation]
Yep. Stick it on the Google home page and put up giant billboards at train stations and people will eventually notice it.

Yea... no. Most people wouldn't even know what that is.

[citation][nom]puddleglum[/nom]??? Just install it from the Chrome site like you do with Firefox from their site.[/citation]
It doesn't work nearly as well. It doesn't even block AdWords properly. I nearly get motion sickness from pages that mutate after loading when using Chrome with ad blockers.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]puddleglum[/nom]??? Just install it from the Chrome site like you do with Firefox from their site. It sped up my Chrom even faster than before. Speed is the whole reason I switched from Firefox. Firefox is just too dog gone slow.[/citation]
Chrome AdBlock doesn't block everything that Firefox AdBlock will, Chrome version will miss things that Firefox will catch. I believe it has something to do with how Chrome is made, the extensions don't have full access to what is needed to make full use of AdBlock. For me the speed difference between Chrome and Firefox on my machine is small and the big difference between the AdBlocks and the other Add Ons I can't find version of in Chrome make Firefox the browser I use.

of the way

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]It doesn't even block AdWords properly. I nearly get motion sickness pages that mutate after loading when using Chrome with ad blockers.[/citation]

I don't get why some people have problems with it. Works perfectly for me.

cesar44

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Wolfgang:

I think you were too quick in your article conclusions and you never noticed that there were no stats for Firefox 6 and Firefox 7, which are the current and the previous browser versions. So these data you based your article are simply incomplete and unreliable as these versions are out there since August 16th, 2011.
Please check the actual .csv data taken from the StatsCounter Web site (http://gs.statcounter.com/#browser_version-ww-monthly-201009-201109), option Browser version for confirmation.

cesar44

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Wolfgang:

Actually I suspect the Firefox 6 and 7 usage data are hidden within the Others label so either its market share is stable or growing.

cesar44

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Wolfgang:

With Firefox 6 and 7 included, last month measures from StatsCounter actually add up to 29,61% compared to misleading 26,79% reported.

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
I smell masses of forced installs or w/e it is that google does to force its way onto many pc lol. I will never use Chrome... it reminds me too much of Apple for some reason.

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
[citation][nom]tical2399[/nom]Unless I can get something like ad block plus in chrome without a bunch of work arounds i'll stick with FF[/citation]

There are at least two add blocks available for chrome. One is "AdBlock" and another is "AdBlock Plus". There is also "FlashBlock" and other extensions that help you to optimize your browsing experience.

I myself switched to Chrome from FF last week, and having a blast - the speed difference is quite noticeable.

wardler

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
[citation][nom]MxM[/nom]There are at least two add blocks available for chrome. One is "AdBlock" and another is "AdBlock Plus". There is also "FlashBlock" and other extensions that help you to optimize your browsing experience.I myself switched to Chrome from FF last week, and having a blast - the speed difference is quite noticeable.[/citation]

Only that things that come from Google are free and smart - not expensive and stupid. Google will take over following these principles. Firefox is building on what they already have and they will eventually have to start over or Google will overtake them as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.