Question Chrome crashes when i launch a link from another application

JFS2705

Reputable
Aug 1, 2017
Hi there, I have noticed that if i open a link to a website from an application when chrome is closed, chrome crashes and i have to restart it. Does anyone know how to fix this.
Many thanks in advance.

JFS2705

Reputable
Aug 1, 2017
What is your computer's native OS?

What application(s)?

Any other browsers installed?

Is Chrome the default?

Have you tried reinstalling Chrome? Could be buggy or corrupted?
My computers OS is Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Some of the appliocations i have noticed it on is Ccleaner, ASUS GUP Tweek 2 and MSI Afterburner
The only other browser installed is Edge
Chrome is my default browser
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling.
I have attached a video to show what i am talking about

Ralston18

Titan
Why is that MSI Afterburner window continually popping up or otherwise "in the way"?

My thought is that you are using it to monitor system performance - fair enough.

(I did note the "Power Limit" appears to be a high % - however, not sure per se, just what that may truly be indicating.)

Close MSI Afterburner for the time being and disable via the Task Manager's Startup tab if Afterburner is being launched at startup.

Other suggestions;

Check in Reliability History: there may be some error codes and warnings that correspond with the Chrome crashes. Event Viewer may also prove additional information. Not quite as user friendly as Reliability History.

Then continue with Task Manager.

Look at everything being launched via Startup - likewise disable as many apps as you can with respect to those you know and otherwise recognize. Research those you do not know or recognize. Find out what they are and what they do. Do not randomly start disabling tasks.

As you disable apps from Startup continue testing to see if Chrome continues to crash.

And continue to use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance.

You may discover some misbehaving app that consumes all of of some resource and fails to release that resource; e.g., RAM.

Be methodical, take your time, and if something appears to be amiss focus on that but do not jump to conclusions.

JFS2705

Reputable
Aug 1, 2017
Why is that MSI Afterburner window continually popping up or otherwise "in the way"?

My thought is that you are using it to monitor system performance - fair enough.

(I did note the "Power Limit" appears to be a high % - however, not sure per se, just what that may truly be indicating.)

Close MSI Afterburner for the time being and disable via the Task Manager's Startup tab if Afterburner is being launched at startup.

Other suggestions;

Check in Reliability History: there may be some error codes and warnings that correspond with the Chrome crashes. Event Viewer may also prove additional information. Not quite as user friendly as Reliability History.

Then continue with Task Manager.

Look at everything being launched via Startup - likewise disable as many apps as you can with respect to those you know and otherwise recognize. Research those you do not know or recognize. Find out what they are and what they do. Do not randomly start disabling tasks.

As you disable apps from Startup continue testing to see if Chrome continues to crash.

And continue to use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance.

You may discover some misbehaving app that consumes all of of some resource and fails to release that resource; e.g., RAM.

Be methodical, take your time, and if something appears to be amiss focus on that but do not jump to conclusions.
Hi again, thanks for getting back to me. I have tried to dissable applications from start up in both task manager and msconfig but noting has worked however when i booted up into safe mode with networking i found that the issue was not there so i am still unsure what could be causing the issue, possibly a windows task. Any more help would be greatly appreciated.

Ralston18

Titan
That is progress.

If Safe Mode with networking ends the problem then the problem is very likely some driver or service is causing the problem.

Reference link:

https://www.lifewire.com/safe-mode-2626018

Use Task Manager to look at everything that is running when no problem exists with respect to Safe Mode.

Then boot normally and look at everything that is running and Chrome starts crashing again.

You should be able to identify one or more possible sources for the problem.

Resource Monitor and Reliability History can both assist with finding a specific culprit.