[SOLVED] Chrome eating up mostly of CPU's usage

Triton32

Prominent
May 9, 2017
I've been having this issue for about a month already. Every time I start my PC, it lags because based on my task manager, Chrome is the highest app using my CPU making it at 100% of usage.

What I've tried:

tried scanning for viruses and miners on my PC (nothing more been found)
tried re-installing Chrome (same issue)
msconfig is clean from startup items and services

Here's a photo of the actual issue. As you can see, There's another chrome app running a high usage of CPU and one is the normal one running several tabs of chrome eating up 0% CPU.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RN1pwndKN-g0KeBseY7nH1kZ2CcWCBEy

Solution
You can clear out the system by doing a fresh install of Windows and formatting the system drive in the process. If you want more security, you can format the system drive on another system, and then install Windows (formatting the drive twice).
Go to the Windows Task Manager Start Up tab. That will list all applications running at that time. To disable an app from loading at startup simply highlight the app and use the Disable button at the bottom of the page.

Unless you have a low end CPU, Google Chrome shouldn't use that much of your CPU capacity. For instance I just checked google chrome on my system, it is 1.9 CPU % with six open Chrome searches.

The amount of CPU % will go up with the number of open Chrome searches.

Triton32

Prominent
May 9, 2017

Hi Terry, my startup items are also clear from any possible startup issues. There are just 4 of them enabled and are trusted like spotify, printer status monitor and etc.

Triton32

Prominent
May 9, 2017

Also, I haven't had this issue before. My CPU us i5-7500 so there should be enough power for chrome to use up. Again, when the issue appears, it creates another process named Google Chrome (same name as my current browser but uses up to 100% usage)

Triton32

Prominent
May 9, 2017

I tried every trusted scan I can do like SMADAV and Malwarebytes or even TDSS Killer and nothing more can be found in this PC.

Calvin_27

Prominent
Jul 21, 2017
I would try scanning your pc with a few different antivirus software just to be sure, if this doesn't help then I would suggest formatting your drives and doing a fresh install of windows, this will then rule out any software issues.

Triton32

Prominent
May 9, 2017

Again, I tried system scanners like SMADAV and Malwarebytes and even TDSS Killer and nothing fancy has been found. I just formatted this drive last month and I guess that's safe for us to say that maybe there's nothing wrong with my drives.

You can clear out the system by doing a fresh install of Windows and formatting the system drive in the process. If you want more security, you can format the system drive on another system, and then install Windows (formatting the drive twice).

Solution
Feb 14, 2019
This is interesting. I just encountered this for the first time on a brand new laptop. I upgraded drastically from a painfully slow and crappy old Dell made in 2008, to a HP Envy. Interestingly, the old Dell never really had any problems with Chrome having 20+ tabs open (seemed the usual slowness as having only >5 tabs open). The new HP has a SSD, no SATA, so no formatting issues to deal with there. CPU is an 8th Gen i7-8550u (1.8Ghz base, Turbo boost to 4.0Ghz, 4 cores w/ 8 threads), 12Gb DDR4 2400Mhz RAM, overall a pretty nice machine. I had about 10 Chrome tabs open the other day and everything was fine for hours until eventually my CPU was holding steady at 100%. I don't have any new software installed on the laptop yet other than antivirus and malware software. I'll dig around and see if I can isolate what the heck is going on and report back if I figure out anything useful. Until then if anyone has any applicable ideas other than what's been posted here already, let me know.