Chrome keeps randomly crashing and I cant open it again, so I have to restart my PC, why?

CostaP

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2014
So the past month Google Chrome has randomly stopped working. It freezes usually every 20-30 minutes, then says its stopped working (a message about it not responding), so I have to close it. In task manager, there is always 1 chrome tab that cannot be killed off for some reason (seems as if its a bug or something not letting it close). And I cannot re-open chrome again so I have to restart my PC every time!

I tried disabling firewall/antivirus, removed Chrome extensions (except adblock), I uninstalled Chrome and reinstalled using the offline mode, I deleted history (4 weeks worth) and this might have improved it, as I was able to use Google for about 2 hours before it crashed again :(

I have Mcafee Internet Security, and Chrome Extensions are: McAfee WebAdviser (currently turned off), True Key™ by Intel Security and AdBlock

My Specs:

Windows 10
8GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3470
GeForce Nvidia GTX 760

I have no idea why this has happened all of a sudden and its frustrating me!
Any help would be really great, thank you

Specs:

Solution

My main problem with defender is it doesn't let me schedule scans for when I want it to run them. I also feel slightly safer using Bitdefender over defender, just based on AV Test. I guess if you just use free services its not so bad, and defender sure beats nothing.

CostaP

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2014
Well apparently the issue was due to the latest version of McAfee, causing Chrome to crash. It installed something called "Analytics SDK", so I spoke to McAfee and they removed this, whilst also doing a fresh reinstall of the McAfee Internet Security on my PC. Now they just said, check to see if any problems occur and they will speak to me tommorow, so fingers crossed!

22shandy

Commendable
Feb 13, 2017
i have exactly the same issue here on 4 of our windows pc's - Chrome is crashing repeatedly and i reported it on the google chrome product forum where others have said they have the same issue.

I just tried the beta version and it crashed in 10 minutes. I am also using Mcafee antivirus across all of the pc's so it sounds like this may be the common element causing the issue. Do I need to deinstall Mcafee as you have done and reinstall it or is there a way of removing the offending element? Thanks

CostaP

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2014

As I mentioned above (although briefly), it has something to do with AnalyticsSDK. Open TaskManager and find 'AnalyticsSDK' in the 'Background processes'. Thats what is making chrome crash and you need to disable it. I found this online for ya, I was amongst these forums checking what other people did.

"Go to Control Panel, then System and Security, then Administrative Tools.
Find “Services” and double left click.
Scroll down to ClientAnalyticalServices and right click.
Click on Properties.
Change Start up to Disabled (it should be on either manual or automatic currently. I think mine was manual)"

Just disable it, and restart pc, it should be ok.

22shandy

Commendable
Feb 13, 2017
Thanks Costa - I have disabled and it appears to have resolved the problem. Thanks for your help. I have passed this onto the other people impacts on the other thread I have running on the Chrome product forum.

Colif

Win 11 Master

My main problem with defender is it doesn't let me schedule scans for when I want it to run them. I also feel slightly safer using Bitdefender over defender, just based on AV Test. I guess if you just use free services its not so bad, and defender sure beats nothing.

Solution

Elia_1994

Prominent
May 14, 2017

Thanks for this, I was realy annoyed because i couldnt acces the internet and needed help with this. It was indeed the 'AnalyticsSDK' that was causing the problem, just disable and/or delete and problem fixed.
Still have no clue what it's for this AnalyticsSDK, they just included it in last update without notice, Mcafee that is.

TRENDING THREADS