Chrome Now at 25% Market Share, IE Down to 40%

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Still no response about no-script's effect on these numbers.

I think all this suggest is that Chrome advertising is working well.

Whereas Firefox tended to be spread by recommendation and quality.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Ever try to uninstall Chrome? Apparently it refuses to allow other browsers to become the default (including IE)...Google it.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]"Apple's Safari climbed by 0.33 points"Lol....[/citation]

Firefox lost 0.4 points... yeah those numbers are pretty silly. I wonder if Apple really gives a shit that their browser isn't climbing in numbers?

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Tons of XP users still out there. I just recently updated an XP laptop and I tried IE9,8, and 7 and all of them crashed when trying to start. Downloaded Chrome and Firefox and both ran flawless.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
I don't get this metric data...

I'm guessing this does not put into account for mobile browsers since there are TONS of iDevices using Safari but only seen 0.33 point growth with sitting at just under 6% share...

do we have usage data for mobile browsers yet?

G

windows 8 is microsoft chance to take the market over again, if they put the next IE on the windows 8. and actualy integrate it perfectly with microsoft network, with the windows mobile etc... then they might just take it all back, but like i said its a chance, they can loose it...

It's not surprising seeing as to how much Google pushes Chrome. Seems like a lot of freeware programs when being installed also install Chrome. Because the install Google Chrome checkmark is automatically checked when running the installer along with making it the default browser. While the average user is far too scared to customize any settings when installing software for fear of screwing everything up.

Then they click the links on their desktop saying e-mail, yahoo, google, work, &c. Chrome opens up and they start using the new browser. Many not even realizing they switched browsers or what a browser actually is. Just that they click this icon on their desktop that the nice guy from their ISP put their that goes directly to their e-mail.

While Firefox users had to actually want a new browser. Search for it then install it.

I'm not saying all Chrome users don't know what they are doing. Just that this scenario seems likely. Given how it is largely displacing IE users. With just a very small drift of Firefox users.

gio2vanni86

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
Since BF3 uses a browser for the game, i believe browser's need to become less of a memory hog. I don't like how chrome has like 4-6 processes in the taskbar. Really annoying, and the fact each one takes about 50mb's is even more annoying, like really 50mb's. Where are the days where things would take 1-10mb's or even KB's. Makes me feel like 4gb's is useless these days, and in reality you need 8GB's plus. Just my opinion sorry if i vented a bit. =D

gio2vanni86

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
Not that i want double post, but seriously i got 4 tabs on one browser and that takes 8 process's with 380mb's for all of them, seriously. Can anyone here who uses firefox tell me if it uses just as much or less?

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
[citation][nom]hoof_hearted[/nom]Tons of XP users still out there. I just recently updated an XP laptop and I tried IE9,8, and 7 and all of them crashed when trying to start. Downloaded Chrome and Firefox and both ran flawless.[/citation]

I didn't think that IE9 would run on XP...how'd you make that happen?

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
I only use IE when I am forced at work in order to use certain internal applications. Every time I open IE, my first thought is always "damn this is slow compared to Chrome".

Speed is everything to me. I could care less about plugins or anything else. Just give me a fast browser that renders all sites well and doesn't crash.

makaveli316

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
With Chrome you don't have an option to change temp files and cache folder, which is ridiculous.
I know you can adjust the .exe shortcut with a command, but still sucks, cause when i click on the Gmail Counter Gadger for example, that command isn't valid.
This for me it's a big enough reason to prefer Firefox.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
While no one doubts Microsoft is a rotting corpse, being eaten by Google, Apple and now even OpenOffice, their level of decomposition and consumption varies.

The numbers from RealTimeStats is somewhat different.

Chrome is at 16.59%, IE at 49.58%, Safari at 8.54%. The trend is very similar, showing big games for Google and pretty good gains for Apple, while Microsoft lost a lot.

The scary part for Microsoft has to be Safari, since that means they keep losing share in the operating system market as well.

rustyd79

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
Using Chrome now...
I have to agree with gio2vanni86 about the number of processes. I was a die-hard firefox user until the release (version 7 or 8 I believe) started doing the multi-process thing.
I absolutely can't stand seeing up to, literally, 20 browser processes running when I have like 3 tabs open. If they fixed that, I would click the FF d/l button again so fast my finger would get windburn!
Chrome seems decent and and only use IE as needed but think, as 'beardguy' said, "damn this is slow compared to Chrome".

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
[citation][nom]hoof_hearted[/nom]Tons of XP users still out there. I just recently updated an XP laptop and I tried IE9,8, and 7 and all of them crashed when trying to start. Downloaded Chrome and Firefox and both ran flawless.[/citation]
I think what he's trying to say is there are lots of eXPerienced users out there eXPeriencing crashes on XP laptops using IE9, 8 and 7...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS