Chrome spell check not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

jargey3000

Honorable
Apr 15, 2014
I have Win 7 Pro on my desktop PC. Spell-check does not work in Chrome. I have Win 7 starter on my laptop, and it works in Chrome . Before you ask - I HAVE ALL MY CHROME LANGUAGE & SPELL-CHECK settings set correctly & the SAME on both machines. I've asked for help on the Google Chrome Help Forum, but no luck. Any suggestions here?

Solution

jr9

Estimable
- Uninstall Chrome on the Desktop and reinstall it to see if that helps. Delete the Chrome folder from Program files x86/Google. Install the newest version of Chrome and confirm the settings are correct.

- Try installing a spell checker Chrome add-on on the desktop PC.

jargey3000

Honorable
Apr 15, 2014

jr9

Estimable
Solution

jargey3000

Honorable
Apr 15, 2014

thanks jr9. I'll try that. Before I do that add -on, should my Chrome setting: "Use a web service for spell check etc." be turned ON or OFF, or does it matter?..

jr9

Estimable
I would disable it (OFF) just to avoid possible compatibility issues in the future. Having 2 programs that do the same thing isn't ideal and a Chrome update one day may suddenly fix the Chrome built in spell checker on your system.

If you add on doesn't work for some reason or it relies on that setting somehow, try enabling it the web service although I think it's unlikely.

Jun 6, 2018
Hey sorry I know this is late but for all the future people who stumble upon this issue. Note this is slightly technical but IMHO the best way to fix the issue permanently without adding on extensions (which can expose you to privacy issues or just hog system resources).

Step 1: Follow this guide to enable chrome policy support https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/187202?hl=en
Step 2: Follow my handy screen shot tutorial https://imgur.com/a/LbDPj6q

Edit: Please upvote if this helped you or you see the wisdom in trying this before reinstalling chrome / adding extensions.

Status
Not open for further replies.