Question Chrome Tabs Randomly Crash ?

RKD2313

Prominent
Aug 13, 2021
Needing some troubleshooting help with tabs within Chrome randomly crashing.

- "Aw, Snap! Something went wrong while displaying this webpage"
- Error code: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION

Not sure if its more so a:
  • RAM issue
  • Particular Chrome Extension issue
  • A Chrome Extension not jiving with another Chrome Extension
  • Mixture of everything ^
(Not sure if its related, but sometimes GMail wont load up. I cant check out at some online stores. Some sites trying to sign in just refreshes the page more or less) <-- I can do these things from within a different Chrome Profile.

Per a Google Help Document I went through the Google Settings to Scan For Harmful Software - That came back clean

Im in the process of building a new computer. My computer doesnt have the best specs for multitasking. The ONLY difference I have noticed in the past 30 days or so is the fact its seemingly unable to multitask at the same level it used a month ago.
At any given time, I might have 50 tabs open. Not ideal and Chrome is a RAM hog, but I didnt really have this issue 30+ days ago; To where as now, I run into problems with 30-35 tabs open doing the same type work with the same type software running in the background. I have probably 20 Extensions, so figuring out which 1 is causing the issue or which 2 together are causing the issue seems like a witch hunt.

I use my computer for work:
  • Software's running in the background thats running search/comparison analysis
  • Manually checking products from a multitude of sites
  • Script running inside Google Sheets

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Disk drives(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to monitor system resources. Use both tools but only one at a time.

Noted that problems occur when open tabs exceed 30-35 tabs. That is good.

Try monitoring the system starting with 5 open tabs, then if all stable, bump to 10, continue doing so in increments of 5.

Allow some time between bumps to let the system stabilize (Note, 5 is just my pick for incremental bumps - you can chose other values as you deem appropriate and viable.)

In any case just keep the monitoring window open and set to one side so you can observe what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource. Make take a bit of trial and error to get the view set up as to be easily watched and see what is happening. Some columns have small arrows at the top which means the column can be sorted. Handy especially if the display keeps rapidly changing.

Good chance that you will spot something that happens when the tabs crash.

Also: "30+ days ago". Look in Reliability History. Reliability History uses a timeline format and you may see when the problems first started occurring and possibly how the problems have increased and/or gotten worse.

My thought is that your build was/is fine but has reached some threshold where sustaining 35+ tabs is not longer viable.

Wondering about virtual memory and drive space.

RKD2313

Prominent
Aug 13, 2021
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Disk drives(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to monitor system resources. Use both tools but only one at a time.

Noted that problems occur when open tabs exceed 30-35 tabs. That is good.

Try monitoring the system starting with 5 open tabs, then if all stable, bump to 10, continue doing so in increments of 5.

Allow some time between bumps to let the system stabilize (Note, 5 is just my pick for incremental bumps - you can chose other values as you deem appropriate and viable.)

In any case just keep the monitoring window open and set to one side so you can observe what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource. Make take a bit of trial and error to get the view set up as to be easily watched and see what is happening. Some columns have small arrows at the top which means the column can be sorted. Handy especially if the display keeps rapidly changing.

Good chance that you will spot something that happens when the tabs crash.

Also: "30+ days ago". Look in Reliability History. Reliability History uses a timeline format and you may see when the problems first started occurring and possibly how the problems have increased and/or gotten worse.

My thought is that your build was/is fine but has reached some threshold where sustaining 35+ tabs is not longer viable.

Wondering about virtual memory and drive space.
I will update the post in just a minute, but wanted to add to the bizarreness. I cant checkout at Barnes and Noble lol On the final screen before showing your order as having been processed with a order confirmation #, when I hit "Accept" or "Proceed", the page just stays there. Doesnt/wont load into a successful order screen. I have to open a different Chrome profile and it works fine. Thats why I mentioned the extensions not jiving together OR 1 outright causing an issue. Since I source and buy on the same profile, it might be good practice to ONLY source on my main account and do purchasing from a separate account.

Ralston18

Titan
Cannot speak for Barnes and Noble (full disclosure).

Who knows what mechanisms they, and other sellers, have in place to manage and control the ordering process.

Not at all uncommon that security measures end up causing issues/grief for legitimate customers.

Especially if some ordering vulnerability was identified as costing the vendor money.

Stop what is happening and then sort out the innocents.

Have you contacted Barnes & Noble regarding your account? They may be able to take a look at what is or has been happening to you.

My recommendation is to contact B & N.

Bizarre indeed, but any bit of information may provide a clue.