Question Chrome works for a bit, then freezes, then doesn't open anymore

maks kuznia

Reputable
Jan 4, 2017
I've had this problem for a couple of days now, when I open chrome it opens and works fine for a couple of seconds but then when I try to search something the search never ends. I just see a spinning wheel. Even when I go to chrome settings they don't load. Then when I close chrome I can't open it anymore and when I try to end the 3 processes called 'chrome.exe' I get the message "Access Denied". Even if I try to use cmd I get the message:
"ERROR: The process "chrome.exe" with PID 8336 could not be terminated.
Reason: There is no running instance of the task."
I tried scanning with Kaspersky, Malwarebytes and HitmanPro, I tried using safe mode and entirely reinstalling chrome removing every trace. I even reinstalled windows with the media creation tool... Nothing helped. Anyone got any ideas? By the way, Firefox doesn't open at all and Edge works fine.

Two thoughts. First there are viruses that can hide from scans when running under Windows, so if you didn't scan from safe mode, you could try that. Secondly you might want to run diagnostics to make sure you don't have a hardware problem. You could also do a scan of your hard drive to make sure you don't have bad sectors.

maks kuznia

Reputable
Jan 4, 2017
Two thoughts. First there are viruses that can hide from scans when running under Windows, so if you didn't scan from safe mode, you could try that. Secondly you might want to run diagnostics to make sure you don't have a hardware problem. You could also do a scan of your hard drive to make sure you don't have bad sectors.

Forgot to mention, I already did that with Crystaldiskinfo. As for your suggestion of scanning in safe mode, I'll try that as soon as I can. Thanks for the suggestion.