[SOLVED] Chromebook Crackling (?) Sound??

Echostar

Commendable
Feb 11, 2017
I don't know where to put this but just a second I was using my Chromebook and I heard a crackling (I believe that's how to describe it) sound? I believe it was from the inside (maybe USB area? it was on that side though) and I don't know why this happened. It was pretty loud as well. My sound still works though.

Some details I have:

Samsung Chromebook
Something to do with Intel Inside (I have the sticker on it)
If any more info is needed please let me know, I have some still.

Thanks in advance! :)

Solution
Nothing is really replaceable on chromebooks nor changeable software wise to fix it if it were a software issue. It sounds more like a hardware problem unless it originated from the speakers in which case either carry on and use it unless it persists than try resetting it.

Your probably not going to get too many responses it seems chromebooks we’re mostly shunned for being too simplistic and limited in the past by computer geeks and I’m not sure they shook off that well deserved reputation. (I had one for 5-6 years till it broke, now my wife owns one) So your best bet may be trying to Google for answers and hope you get lucky and contact the manufacturer.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Nothing is really replaceable on chromebooks nor changeable software wise to fix it if it were a software issue. It sounds more like a hardware problem unless it originated from the speakers in which case either carry on and use it unless it persists than try resetting it.

Your probably not going to get too many responses it seems chromebooks we’re mostly shunned for being too simplistic and limited in the past by computer geeks and I’m not sure they shook off that well deserved reputation. (I had one for 5-6 years till it broke, now my wife owns one) So your best bet may be trying to Google for answers and hope you get lucky and contact the manufacturer.

Solution
Apr 13, 2020

Well, assain32, in trying to figure out how to make a reply despite all the annoying pop-up ads on THIS site, i wanted to confirm that i too had the same problem with my new Chrome laptop (now it's about 1 1/2 years old). Anyway, i went to Google to look up an answer......nothing. Finally found THIS site, and just wanted to comment, there IS nothing out there to solve this problem. I won't even try to contact the manufacturer: these Chromebooks can only be used for so long, they DO have an "expiration" date on them, buried in the Settings section. Anyway, i was able to use the headphones to listen to music while working, so as not to disturb others........BUT.......no longer. What a disappointment! And my laptop is by HP. The rest of the laptop works great, just not the headphone port. And i appreciated your reply, at least we ALL know now......

Apr 13, 2020
Well, assain32, in trying to figure out how to make a reply despite all the annoying pop-up ads on THIS site, i wanted to confirm that i too had the same problem with my new Chrome laptop (now it's about 1 1/2 years old). Anyway, i went to Google to look up an answer......nothing. Finally found THIS site, and just wanted to comment, there IS nothing out there to solve this problem. I won't even try to contact the manufacturer: these Chromebooks can only be used for so long, they DO have an "expiration" date on them, buried in the Settings section. Anyway, i was able to use the headphones to listen to music while working, so as not to disturb others........BUT.......no longer. What a disappointment! And my laptop is by HP. The rest of the laptop works great, just not the headphone port. And i appreciated your reply, at least we ALL know now......

Well, here's one more thought to get around the crackly sound port: get a pair of inexpensive wireless Bluetooth earbuds and connect it to your laptop! Problem solved! And i only spent $3 doing it! ((fist pump!))

Apr 13, 2020
I don't know where to put this but just a second I was using my Chromebook and I heard a crackling (I believe that's how to describe it) sound? I believe it was from the inside (maybe USB area? it was on that side though) and I don't know why this happened. It was pretty loud as well. My sound still works though.

Some details I have:

Samsung Chromebook
Something to do with Intel Inside (I have the sticker on it)
If any more info is needed please let me know, I have some still.

Thanks in advance! :)

Echostar, have you found a solution yet for your Samsung Chromebook?? I have a HP Chromebook, and after just a 1 1/2 yrs, i was experiencing crackly sounds with my headphones. My solution was to buy an inexpensive set of wireless Bluetooth earbuds, connect it up through Settings and it solved the problem! Cost me all of $3! I hope it helps you too!