[SOLVED] Chromebook not connecting to wifi?

Sep 19, 2020
I have a chrome book laptop, it was slowly disconnecting and getting a terrible wifi connection and then eventually just cut out completely and just states that it is "out of range".

I have tried everything that I can think of and research short of pulling apart and cracking it open and checking out the hardware (do not want to do as it will break warranty).

I have reset the modem multiple times, checked the firewall and settings of the modem. The weird thing is that it isn't only doing this to the home wifi but also the school wifi, my phone hotspot, another households wifi, and many other phones, always with the same message "out of range". I have had the phone on top of the laptop, or the laptop on top of the modem still no connection and same message. It did at one stage connect perfectly fine to the wifi when signed in as guest, but that eventually stopped too.

Another odd thing is that I had bought 2 identical Chrome books, and 1 is still working perfectly fine, so it is clearly not a source/internet problem but problem with the PC itself.

I have also did a full system reboot into factory settings and still no connection, still "out of range".

Lenovo Chromebook s340-14

Solution
I have a chrome book laptop, it was slowly disconnecting and getting a terrible wifi connection and then eventually just cut out completely and just states that it is "out of range".

I have tried everything that I can think of and research short of pulling apart and cracking it open and checking out the hardware (do not want to do as it will break warranty).

I have reset the modem multiple times, checked the firewall and settings of the modem. The weird thing is that it isn't only doing this to the home wifi but also the school wifi, my phone hotspot, another households wifi, and many other phones, always with the same message "out of range". I have had the phone on top of the laptop, or the laptop on top of the modem still no...

kanewolf

Titan

I have reset the modem multiple times, checked the firewall and settings of the modem. The weird thing is that it isn't only doing this to the home wifi but also the school wifi, my phone hotspot, another households wifi, and many other phones, always with the same message "out of range". I have had the phone on top of the laptop, or the laptop on top of the modem still no connection and same message. It did at one stage connect perfectly fine to the wifi when signed in as guest, but that eventually stopped too.

Another odd thing is that I had bought 2 identical Chrome books, and 1 is still working perfectly fine, so it is clearly not a source/internet problem but problem with the PC itself.

I have also did a full system reboot into factory settings and still no connection, still "out of range".

Lenovo Chromebook s340-14
My guess is that the antenna for the WIFI card in the Chromebook has come loose or broken. That would explain why no WIFI work.

Solution