Chromebooks Are Winning In The Education Sector

Status
Not open for further replies.

bahalol

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
'Malaysia, for example, uses Chromebooks for its entire national school system', I'm from Malaysia and i could only laugh at this statement...hahahahahaHAHAHAH

Nuckles_56

Admirable
The other reason is that the school doesn't have to worry about what they end up downloading nearly as much as there is far less malware out there targeting chromebooks when compared with windows or even apple products

LordConrad

Distinguished
I'm a computer tech, so I bought a Chromebook to get more familiar with them and find out why they're becoming so popular. I purchased the fully loaded version of the Acer Chromebook 13. This thing boots within seconds, is very lightweight, and (like most laptops) has a built-in keyboard. I use this around the house so much that I've mostly retired my iPad. I now use my iPad mostly when I leave the house as it's more portable than the Chromebook, which means I'm stuck with the on-screen keyboard until I get home.

Obviously neither of these devices will replace my main PC, but for checking email or surfing the net around the house, the Chromebook is my first choice.

Mr201

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
"Malaysia, for example, uses Chromebooks for its entire national school system"
what a flat out lie, did malaysia's government pay you to write this tom? The government give very low-end acer aspire one run on windows 7 that use people's taxes for fcking grade school for god sake, do they need that? no! while people in college in university suffering just to get a smartphone that just work for god sake!

rmicro1

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
I work in the as a tech in the IT department of a school district in Canada and many of our schools are purchasing chromebooks by the hundreds because they are cheap and easy to use. However, there are downsides. I attended a Google Summit last year and they stated that the Chome OS will only be supported for 3 years of the life of a product, meaning your chromebook only gets support for 3 years. Google likes to push out updates regularly to the back end of their system for managing the Chromebooks. Our fear now is that after 3 years, most of our chromebooks will be unsupported and possibly unusable. They are basically a throw away product. Just something to keep in mind.

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
....no wonder why our current generation of children have the lowest test an apptitude scores in years and don't even know how to write let alone type...

Chromebooks are defintely NOT helping the situation!

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
Typing too fast!

"....no wonder why our current generation of children have the lowest test scores in years and don't even know how to write let alone type...

Chromebooks are defintely NOT helping the situation!"

majorlag

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Chromebooks are nice and simple, but here is a nice tip.

Buy a windows laptop/tablet, install Google Chrome, install Chrome apps. You know have a chrome book, but now have the opportunity to run everything else.

Replace windows with Linux if you want.

~Majorlag

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
Replace Windows with Linux is great but the idea behind Google Chrome is that it's Google managed to free the user the hassles of updates and apps. This is something school IT love. The downside of the Chromebooks would be limited 3 year life before it needs to be upgraded. However, it's still usable even after three years. Just won't be supported anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.