Chromebooks Get OS Update, Holiday Price Cuts

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Update? You mean the browser got updated? What else is there? You know these would be Ok for a quick notebook for web surfing and travel. But the price they have on these machines is too high for the hardware and OS inside. If your going to try and gain a foothold with a unfamiliar product to most consumers. You have to advertise and inform.A really good intro price would be helpful too. Chromebooks will be the next Netbook failure. You cannot even buy them and put another OS on them because they lack any kind of decent size hard drive. They are worthless if you end up hating the cloud from Google.

G

The 16 gb solid state drive (NOT hard drive) on a Chromebook allows users to temporarily download files to their Chromebooks if they want to open them online, or as a holding place before uploading to cloud storage. I have a Chromebook and use the 16 gb SSD all the time. For example, I've download mp3s and movies onto the hard drive so I can listen/watch them when on a plane. In addition to the browser, Chrome OS has an integrated video/audio player and a file manager that looks like any file manager for accessing and managing files on the SSD.

Chrome OS is not just the Chrome browser. Even in a Chrome browser on a Windows laptop there are a lot of other plugins and programs that need to be running to make it work. For example, Adobe Flash. When you visit a website with Adobe Flash content on a Windows laptop with any browser, if you don't have Flash installed on your computer, you won't be able to view the content. Since you cannot install any programs on a Chromebook, Google needs to update the Chrome OS if they want to give users the latest version of Flash. Other examples include video codecs, ability to handle zip file formats, rendering of PDFs - these all require updates of extensions that are not part of the Chrome browser. These updates happen automatically, in the background. A user of the Chromebook on the mainstream stable channel may not even realize it when their OS is updated.

I read a lot of comments that say Chromebooks are too expensive for what they are. But in my opinion, $299 is not a lot of money. I have a high-end Windows laptop, an iPad, and recently, a Chromebook. Out of those three computers, my Chromebook is the cheapest and gets 75% of my use, my iPad about 20%, and my Windows laptop about 5%. It is a fantastic device, well worth the price.

G

So glai why did you waste so much on a high end laptop only to use a $300 Cloud book? Seems to me that was a bad decision on your part? I have a nice Macbook Air and a iPad. I can see no reason for someone to spend $300 on yet another web based piece of hardware? I guess its great if like you they have extra money to buy another piece of hardware. But myself I intend to use my Macbook Air as I have plenty invested in it. If you already have a laptop I am not sure what you gain buying a Chromebook?

theconsolegamer

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
[citation][nom]jescott418[/nom]So glai why did you waste so much on a high end laptop only to use a $300 Cloud book? Seems to me that was a bad decision on your part? I have a nice Macbook Air and a iPad. I can see no reason for someone to spend $300 on yet another web based piece of hardware? I guess its great if like you they have extra money to buy another piece of hardware. But myself I intend to use my Macbook Air as I have plenty invested in it. If you already have a laptop I am not sure what you gain buying a Chromebook?[/citation]You have a Macbook Air AND an iPad, what makes you think you can give such an advice?

tramit

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
[citation][nom]theconsolegamer[/nom]You have a Macbook Air AND an iPad, what makes you think you can give such an advice?[/citation]

You are a console gamer, what makes you think you can give such advice?

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
Why spend almost the same money for a Chromebook when I can get a Windows notebook? If I want something small and fast, I'd get a tablet. If I want a notebook, I want something that can be more productive than a Chromebook.

jimmy-bee

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Anything to just move those undesirable notebooks off the shelf, I presume.Though, it would be tempting to get one and install either Ubuntu or Windows 7.[/citation]
Agree on the Ubuntu but I don't think these things have a HD.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]jimmy-bee[/nom]Agree on the Ubuntu but I don't think these things have a HD.[/citation]
They don't have an HDD but they do have an SSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.