Chromebooks With Google Play Store Integration Could Be First Mass-Market Alternative To Windows PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

gravewax

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
A million apps, but 999,000 of them are complete garbage. It is not the number of apps that is Chromes problem, it is the quality of them, especially in the business arena, combined with a subpar OS this really doesn't make it a viable alternative at all.

Simonatsydney

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
I love chromebook! It is so simple to use (within its limits) I hope it never gets too complicated. BTW I am a computer programmer - I like computers...

pgunn01

Commendable
Apr 26, 2016
I'm very happy with ChromeOS, but adding a few of the Android apps I use on my phone and tablet would be pretty great. Contrary to gravewax, the percentage of apps in the store that are good doesn't matter to me; I'm not going to install even 1000 apps, just the ones I like now and maybe the ones that later interest me.

pgunn01

Commendable
Apr 26, 2016
I'm very happy with ChromeOS, but adding a few of the Android apps I use on my phone and tablet would be pretty great. Contrary to gravewax, the percentage of apps in the store that are good doesn't matter to me; I'm not going to install even 1000 apps, just the ones I like now and maybe the ones that later interest me.

modbus

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
A million apps, but 999,000 of them are complete garbage. It is not the number of apps that is Chromes problem, it is the quality of them, especially in the business arena, combined with a subpar OS this really doesn't make it a viable alternative at all.

Agreed with what you say about most apps being garbage but then again so is most software. Chromebook is already a viable alternative to Windows PCs. 90% (probably even more) of people don't need the power of a windows or apple PC. All most people do with their computers are Netflix / Youtube / {insert social media here} and MS Office. My GF needed a new laptop for college and was looking at apples (she went into a store and the sales guy got it in her head) I bought her a Chromebook and she loves it, she does have problems with MS Word documents but that will be solved once the play store is available. I also convinced both my parents to buy one and they don't even notice the difference between their old windows PCs and their new Chromebooks.

So, you can send your computer usage data to Microsoft, whose core business is not advertising, or you can send it to Google, which would love to sell your information to advertisers.
Decisions, decisions...

targetdrone

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
So Chromebooks get OS updates for 5 years(after model release) yet Android is maybe 18 months of support, if you shelled out almost G for the flashship model from a major manufacture and if you're lucky to be with a carrier that actually updates their devices?

hannibal

Distinguished
Chrome os upgrades comes directly From Google. Android upgrades come From phone makers and carriers, so there Are two extra Walls in between Google and customers, who Are not so keen on upgrading old devices and hope that people will buy new phone instead of upgrading the os...

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
I feel bad for Google. I really don't know why they created the Chrome OS. I think it was a victim of its own success as they probably they didn't expect the larger and better reception for the Chrome OS.

jacksmith21006

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016
Android apps run natively on ChromeOS. Google figured out how to put Android into a container and then the container runs on ChromeOS natively.

Android apps should fly on Chromebooks.

Also huge fan of Chromebooks. IMO, a much better user experience as you basically get the performance of the next higher processor as the OS is more efficient.

I do with people would have some experience with Chromebooks before posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.