[SOLVED] Chromecast 4K w/Google TV & PC Sound CArd

Prahsper

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2014
OK. I have a desktop with a ASUS Xonar DGX 5.1 sound card. Logitech Z506 5.1 speakers connected. I have 3 TV's connected to my GTX 1060. 2 32in. (HDMI to HDMI graphic card) and a 43in. 4K (HDMI to Display Port graphic card).
Now , I just purchased the Chromecast 4K with Google TV and connected it to the 43in.
What I want, is the audio from whatever I am watching on the Chromecast to come from the PC speakers and not from the TV itself. Desktop is set for HDMI arc connection, Chromecast is set in HDMI 1. And 2 empty HDMI ports on the back of 43in. TV are left.
I can and have achieved audio thru the Logitech speakers by connecting an RCA to 3.5 jack from the TV to the speakers only, but I have to get up to control the volume from the speakers. TV remote does not control this nor does the Chromecast remote. I literally have to get up each time to raise or lower the volume from the speakers.
Everything else, has their audio going thru the Asus sound card in desktop thru the Logitech speakers.
Can I achieve this with the Chromecast as well? If so, how? Thnx

Solution
OK. I have a desktop with a ASUS Xonar DGX 5.1 sound card. Logitech Z506 5.1 speakers connected. I have 3 TV's connected to my GTX 1060. 2 32in. (HDMI to HDMI graphic card) and a 43in. 4K (HDMI to Display Port graphic card).
Now , I just purchased the Chromecast 4K with Google TV and connected it to the 43in.
What I want, is the audio from whatever I am watching on the Chromecast to come from the PC speakers and not from the TV itself. Desktop is set for HDMI arc connection, Chromecast is set in HDMI 1. And 2 empty HDMI ports on the back of 43in. TV are left.
I can and have achieved audio thru the Logitech speakers by connecting an RCA to 3.5 jack from the TV to the speakers only, but I have to get up to control the volume from...

kanewolf

Titan
I can and have achieved audio thru the Logitech speakers by connecting an RCA to 3.5 jack from the TV to the speakers only, but I have to get up to control the volume from the speakers. TV remote does not control this nor does the Chromecast remote. I literally have to get up each time to raise or lower the volume from the speakers.
Everything else, has their audio going thru the Asus sound card in desktop thru the Logitech speakers.
Can I achieve this with the Chromecast as well? If so, how? Thnx
Usually on a TV only 1 HDMI port supports ARC. Have you verified that your PC is connected to that HDMI port on the TV.
This page -- https://www.planar.com/blog/2018/2/28/displayport-14-vs-hdmi-21/ says that displayport doesn't support ARC. So you would have to use the graphic card HDMI port to even have a chance.

Solution

Prahsper

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2014
Usually on a TV only 1 HDMI port supports ARC. Have you verified that your PC is connected to that HDMI port on the TV.
This page -- https://www.planar.com/blog/2018/2/28/displayport-14-vs-hdmi-21/ says that display port doesn't support ARC. So you would have to use the graphic card HDMI port to even have a chance.
OK...I have 2 HDMI ports and one Display port on the back of the graphic card. The 32in. TV's are connected HDMI (TV) to HDMI (graphic card), The 43in. Is connected HDMI ARC (TV) to Display port (Graphic card). It's an HDMI to Display port cable.
Now from this clear information, what should I be doing next? Thnx

kanewolf

Titan
OK...I have 2 HDMI ports and one Display port on the back of the graphic card. The 32in. TV's are connected HDMI (TV) to HDMI (graphic card), The 43in. Is connected HDMI ARC (TV) to Display port (Graphic card). It's an HDMI to Display port cable.
Now from this clear information, what should I be doing next? Thnx
I believe you have to move the 43 in TV to an HDMI port on the graphics card to have any chance of getting ARC to work. Also verify, in the 43inch owner's manual which HDMI ports support ARC. Generally only 1 does.

You will need to connect the TV the chromecast is on to the speakers, since the only way those speakers connect is through the 3.5mm or the RCA inputs that is what you need to use. Don't think you can pass through the audio on the TV to the computer then to the speakers.

Prahsper

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2014
You will need to connect the TV the chromecast is on to the speakers, since the only way those speakers connect is through the 3.5mm or the RCA inputs that is what you need to use. Don't think you can pass through the audio on the TV to the computer then to the speakers.
Seems the only option that works is the RCA to 3.5mm audio cable straight from the TV to the subwoofer of the speaker setup. That's where all the connections for the the Z506 are.
But my dilemma is having to get up to raise or lower the volume. Now I will have to figure out a way to get either the TV remote or the Chromecast remote to control the volume.

REVISED BELOW: As per Kanewolf

Last edited:

Prahsper

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2014
I believe you have to move the 43 in TV to an HDMI port on the graphics card to have any chance of getting ARC to work. Also verify, in the 43inch owner's manual which HDMI ports support ARC. Generally only 1 does.
OK...this worked. But in a weird way. I moved the connection of the HDMI ARC to Display port from graphic card to HDMI ARC to HDMI on graphic card as you stated. I now have the audio content of the Chromecast coming thru the speakers connected to my sound card in the desktop. Only after connecting the RCA to 3.5mm cable from the 43in. to the speakers. (subwoofer connections)
The only way to control the volume however, is by turning on the TV speakers which plays along with the PC speakers. This somewhat makes it all louder but does not control the volume of the PC speakers. I still have to get up to turn them down/up.
So I pretty much have what I was looking for to accomplish. Just now have to figure out a way to control the volume issue.