Chromecast May Get Screen Mirroring With Android 4.4.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
We need more features with the Chromecast, I bought one and all it did was Netflix and Youtube. Now at least we have Hulu and Pandora, but I don't see why we couldn't have done this all along.

r_w

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
People keep regurgitating the same information. One of the reasons I bought the Chromcast was to mirror my Chrome window - but it only can do that (and not very well) from a PC - *not* from a phone.

Still - it does play YouTube nicely...

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I'm still surprised at how popular Chromecast was. I'm sure it has a significant plug-and-play value for most people without a smart TV or form of HTPC, but (and while I have never used one myself), its on-paper capabilities make it seem so anemic. For $15 more you can get a Roku box and do far, far more than what Chromecast allows.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008

You get 3 free months of netflix with it, so it's actually like $11

the1kingbob

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Only $11 if you weren't already paying for netflix. I bought it right when it was announced, but have been a bit disappointed in its lack of adoption. Casting PC Chrome tabs hasn't worked well for me, but netflix has been nice. If I knew when I bought it there would still be little adoption I would have bought a second Roku for $50. The chromecast can be awesome, it just simply not at this time. I hope the N4 sees some of the camera improvements seen on the N5..

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
My Sony BDP S3100 has a ton of Video and Audio web content and it plays BD DVD and CD it was $60.
There are lots of great options, most better than what Smart TVs have to offer.
I just got a 40" flat screen 120Hz 1080p on BF lots of inputs $200 less than half list.
I am going to get a PC/TV stick and do the custom ROM/ROOT thing and run something like XBMC. They are cheap and you get to learn something new.

Rirath

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
>Only $11 if you weren't already paying for netflix

I was already paying for Netflix and the promo still worked just fine. It simply credited your account the value, so no bill for a few months depending on your plan options.

Jgriff

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
Or just get a ouya and be done with it, fully function android os on your tv for under 100. Makes for a great Xbmc device/ retro game player.

G

Screen mirroring is out in the wild with 4.4.2. I received the OTA on my Nexus 4 last night. The option is under Settings -> Display -> Cast Screen.

TechJunkie69

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013
Wirelessly mirroring has been available on the nexus 4 since launch, and on the 10 since 4.3 (works great with my netgear ptv3000). All they did was change the name in anticipation of Chromecast support. What it means exactly is what intrigues me. Are nexus devices just getting the ability to cast to it or is the Chromecast going to support the miracast standard?

BionicPurist

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
Quote:
"I'm still surprised at how popular Chromecast was. I'm sure it has a significant plug-and-play value for most people without a smart TV or form of HTPC, but (and while I have never used one myself), its on-paper capabilities make it seem so anemic. For $15 more you can get a Roku box and do far, far more than what Chromecast allows."

You are not understanding the difference between a Smart TV and Chromecast. Using Netflix on a Smart TV is nowhere near as quick, direct or easy as it is on Chromecast. Why use a remote to navigate around the screen when you can use your smartphone for quick and direct browsing/navigation? Why wait for whatever app you want to use to load up on the TV when you can switch from Netflix to YouTube on the fly? You do need to use Chromecast to get it. I didn't think I needed it either until I used it. It's the little things that make you fall in love with it. I have multiple multimedia boxes with the same apps including a highend Samsung Smart TV and Xbox 360. I also have miracast. None of them hold a candle to the functionality and ease of Chromecast. Unless Roku provides the same quick and direct ease without using their remote... don't try to compare it.

Status
Not open for further replies.