[SOLVED] Chromium web Browser

Dave8671

Distinguished
A few days ago I saw the icon for chromium on my task and my desktop. never installed it. I proceeded to remove chromium than I clicked on Firefox to open it had a small pop with an error. I re downloaded Firefox and installed it and guess what chromium returned. I have the startup for chromium disabled still if I remove the icons they return automatically. Is this Firefox using chromium or is this malware? If I remove the icons they return with in a few hours.

Solution
at this point you only have chrome based and firefox as an option.

edge has gone to chrome based as well. there are a few mozilla based out there but nowhere near as much as chrome world has.

developers like it since all they have to do is create a gui and tweak here and there to make it unique-ish. all the add-ons and such are already created and automatically are compatible since they all work on the chrome base.

i use FF and have for many years and don't plan on switching at this point in the game. i try to avoid anything google if i can since they are such data miners and so anti-privacy. that's most of the ram hogging is to make sure all that precious data mining is working full throttle at all times!!

really the same goes for...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
it's not firefox. it's malware of some kind.

did you install anything new recently? most likely came from something you installed but did not notice the other crapware that got installed with it.

likely this is what is bringing it back over and over as it's siting there waiting for you to try something so it can put it back.

Dave8671

Distinguished
I was in denial about brave till I ran malwarebytes and it found and quarantined many files. I than removed brave and I deteted and folder with chromium name and plus user data than I rebooted.

I must have missed a tiny check box with brave installation. I use brave on my cell. Thats is why I wanted it on the pc. But if this act is intentional that is a red flag.

Note once this above tasks are completed firefox will load websites slowly for a time. Not sure why that is. It took some time before it functioned correctly. Its back to normal now.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i just grabbed the installer from the site to see what it does.

nothing suspicious about the install and nothing i can see that is sketchy. did you get it from brave itself or some other "download" site?? those 3rd party sites are notorious for slipping extra crapware into installers.

otherwise, it looks like you got something from somewhere else and not the browser install. that's where i'd look at and not the browser itself.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
at this point you only have chrome based and firefox as an option.

edge has gone to chrome based as well. there are a few mozilla based out there but nowhere near as much as chrome world has.

developers like it since all they have to do is create a gui and tweak here and there to make it unique-ish. all the add-ons and such are already created and automatically are compatible since they all work on the chrome base.

i use FF and have for many years and don't plan on switching at this point in the game. i try to avoid anything google if i can since they are such data miners and so anti-privacy. that's most of the ram hogging is to make sure all that precious data mining is working full throttle at all times!!

really the same goes for win 10 as well. all that stuff being complained about daily here is mostly, the data mining doing it's thing with no regards for if you can actually use your pc or not.

Solution