HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
My little brother's quantum hard drive is making this "chugging" noise...like it is slowing down or something...
it is a 4500 rpm 20 gig..
it seems to be working fine, and the noise stops when you slap the top of the case...not too hard, just a nice love slap..
it is kinda annoying considering it is not just a constant noise...it is a "gna gna gna gna gna gna gna gna gna"
instead of a "hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"
strange...it isnt even like a year old....and isnt giving errors...so i dont think that it is dying...it has been making this noise for a long time...but never has errors....
anyone else find this funny?

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I would give Maxtor a call and they will probably have no problems with replacing it for you ...

<font color=red>BIOS updates do wonders ....</font color=red>

G

Had same thing a few years ago, no errors or anything just noise, I gave it one too many love taps and it died. Its a bearing on the way out so be doing something about it before it stops working all together.

<font color=orange>Beam</font color=orange><font color=red> me</font color=red><font color=green> up</font color=green><font color=blue> Scotty</font color=blue> :wink:

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
not maxtor, quantum....
and if it is a bearing going out, then that sucks...
i figured that it was something to do with a bearing, but wasnt sure...
too bad i cant just open it up and regrease the bearings like a bike wheel...
oh well...i guess that when i get my new hard drive, my little brother can have mine....
another odd thing about my brother's hd was that when you set the jumpers to a certain setting, it usually doesnt really matter. it basically takes over, and makes itself the master, and makes the other drive on the cable or the system NOT DETECT OR WORK!
that drive was a cheapo anyways...cost about 80 bucks at fry's like a year ago...so i am not complaining about being ripped off, and i might contact quantum to see if they will replace it, which would be cool, but i am not thinking that they are going to do that easily....

-DAvid

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
There is no more hard drive manufacture called Quantum. Quantum sold out there hard drive manufacturing to Maxtor!

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
WHAT?
this was recent eh?
that is crazy....
hm..
well, maybe i will call maxtor and see what they say about that.
i never knew that quantum sold out.
lol
my dads computer has a quantum fireball, but that system is like 3 years old...
my little brother got his hard dirve like a year ago....almost a year ago today come to think of it.
well, maybe it is time to make a trip to maxtor's website!

-DAvid

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
damn..i should have paid more attention to that...
oh well...
i dont think that i will bother with trying to replace it from maxtor...i doubt that they will replace it anyways...
and for what he paid...he could get a nice 30 or 40 gig hard drive made by maxtor, or western digital...even though i would rather get a maxtor put in his system...
chug chug chug chug ...hehe
oh yeah, my little syster needs to get a new hard drive too because she only had a 5 gig, but that thing died the other night...lol

-DAvid

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
As long as it is under warranty they will replace it if you ask and are nice. ;) They have a No Quibble return policy.

For warranty status :::
<A HREF="http://www.maxtor.com/product_support/warranty/default.htm" target="_new"><font color=blue>Click this</font color=blue></A>
Click on warranty lookup and just enter the GTLA/Part Number (P/N) and the S/N and it should tell you if it's in warranty or not ...

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
sweet...i am going to have to pull my bro's hard drive and check that out...
thanks for the link..i will report back and let you know if the warranty is good!
i sure hope so...would save me some money. ;)

-DAvid