Question Cinebench acting weird with i7-13700k temps ?

RobK92

Commendable
Dec 26, 2020
Hello

I built myself a PC a few days ago and after installing Windows and all the drivers I played some games to see the performance(WoW, 1440p and max settings). After that I decided to undervolt my CPU to get some lower temps.
I went in to the BIOS(ASUS ROG Strix Z790-F Gaming WIFI ) and did the following tweaks:

Current ASUS MultiCorre Enhancement - Disabled - Enforce All Limits
Maximum CPU Core Temp - set to 95c
Long Duration Package Power Limit - 125
Short Duration Package Limit - 253
Global Core SVID Voltages - Adaptive Mode
-Offset mode sign - Negative
-Offset Voltage - 0,1(I went for 0,05 and tried out some Wow for 3-4 hours without any problem).

My temps right now is Idling between 30-33c and on WoW it's around 55-60c

NOW for the weird part. I tried cinebench and after 40 sec my package temps went from 86c to 66c(none of the cores reached 95c) for the whole 9min left of the test. I tried several times and the CPU acted the same.
I don't understand what's happening, I'm not home right now but could it be the Power Plan setting in Windows? I know it's set to Balanced by default. Could that be the culprit?

My Parts:
ASUS ROG Strix Z790-F Gaming WIFI
Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2TB
Corsair 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 5600MHz CL36 Vengean
Intel Core i7 13700K 3.4 GHz 54MB
Noctua NH-D15 chromax Black
Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM Chromax Black x3
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12GB AORUS MASTER
Corsair 4000D Airflow Black
Corsair HX1000i 1000W

Last edited:
The CineBench all core is a very extreme test. It's a good tool to see how good your cooling is at absolute maximum load for an extended duration.

There is nothing wrong with your D-15. The 13700/13900 are extremely power hungry cpu's when loaded. If you want lower temps with CineBench water cooling is the better option for your cpu.

For general users and gamers, your pc will rarely see all cores loaded for an extended duration.

Reactions: RobK92

RobK92

Commendable
Dec 26, 2020
I agree, I got the air cooled solution because I prefer it and in most casses I won't use CPU heavy tasks. The PC is mostly for gaming.

I just happen to use Cinebench to check how stable the system(CPU) is with my new tweaks in BIOS and do not understand why my CPU reaches high temps for 40-45sec, goes down to 60c and stays there for the entire test (10min test).

I suspect Windows 11 Power plan settings or Windows 22H2 update(because I downloaded Cinebench from Microsoft store and in the update it says something about Smart app control -might be farfetched. I will look in to it when I get home).

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2024
Your CPU is configured to use up to 253 watts but only for a "short" amount of time, this is normally also a configurable value but it seems like the default/what your MB is set at is about 40 seconds.

After that time period is up it restricts the power draw to a lower long term power limit, which is 125 watts. That's why your temp drops, the amount of power being drawn has been cut in half.

The reasoning behind this behavior is to give you maximum performance on small, bursty workloads but also to stay in a saner part of the efficiency curve for sustained loads. Not wanting to go run benches for real numbers I'm sort of making up a number here but 125w is like 90% of the performance for half the energy usage. Some people set both power limits to the same as they don't want to leave any performance on the table. I personally think using a separate long term power limit is sensible since it avoids a ton of heat and noise. Also it's very uncommon for games to be pushing above 125w anyways.

TheHerald

Proper
Feb 15, 2024
Hello

I built myself a PC a few days ago and after installing Windows and all the drivers I played some games to see the performance(WoW, 1440p and max settings). After that I decided to undervolt my CPU to get some lower temps.
I went in to the BIOS(ASUS ROG Strix Z790-F Gaming WIFI ) and did the following tweaks:

Current ASUS MultiCorre Enhancement - Disabled - Enforce All Limits
Maximum CPU Core Temp - set to 95c
Global Core SVID Voltages - Adaptive Mode
-Offset mode sign - Negative
-Offset Voltage - 0,1(I went for 0,05 and tried out some Wow for 3-4 hours without any problem).

My temps right now is Idling between 30-33c and on WoW it's around 55-60c

NOW for the weird part. I tried cinebench and after 40 sec my package temps went from 86c to 66c(none of the cores reached 95c) for the whole 9min left of the test. I tried several times and the CPU acted the same.
I don't understand what's happening, I'm not home right now but could it be the Power Plan setting in Windows? I know it's set to Balanced by default. Could that be the culprit?

My Parts:
ASUS ROG Strix Z790-F Gaming WIFI
Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2TB
Corsair 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 5600MHz CL36 Vengean
Intel Core i7 13700K 3.4 GHz 54MB
Noctua NH-D15 chromax Black
Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM Chromax Black x3
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12GB AORUS MASTER
Corsair 4000D Airflow Black
Corsair HX1000i 1000W
The short duration package limit (called PL2) lasts only for around 50 seconds, after that long duration limit engages, so your CPU is pulling 250 watts for 50 seconds and then it drops to 125. That explains your temperatures