Question Cinebench - PC restarts as soon as I run

invictus9407

Prominent
Jan 1, 2022
Hi everyone, I recently upgraded my CPU and GPU, and everything is running smoothly so far. I have not actually done any overclocking yet, I just wanted to run Cinebench to see how my scores compare to my previous system, but for some reason, as soon as I hit run on the Cinebench tests (both multi-core and single core), my PC restarts. Worth noting that I have zero issues with gaming or anything else, everything is running smoothly.

Would anyone know why this might be happening and how to resolve/troubleshoot? Sharing my specs and what I've tried so far below.

Specs

Mobo: MSI B450M Mortar
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x
GPU: MSI RTX 3090 Ventus 3X 24GB GDDR6X
RAM: Kingston Fury Renegade DDR4 3600MHz CL16 32GB Kit (2x16GB) - XMP Profile 1
PSU: Corsair RM 850 W 80+ Gold Fully Modular ATX PSU
Storage: WD SN750 1TB NVMe SSD with Heatsink

What I've Tried So Far
  • Trying different versions of Cinebench (tried R23.2, R23 and R20)
  • Removed apps like MSI Afterburner, RTSS, Razer Synapse, Ryzen Master, HWInfo etc assuming they may cause conflicts
  • Running my PC in Safe Mode and trying to test (I get some random error messages within Cinebench and the app doesn't even load properly when I do this)
  • Downloading the Cinebench app from the Microsoft Store as opposed to from the Maxon site
  • Changing Windows power settings from Balanced to Ryzen High Power etc.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts - thanks in advance :)

invictus9407

Prominent
Jan 1, 2022
Any issues running 3dmark or other testing programs? My first thought was power, but I would think a Corsair 850W should handle that setup. Anything in event viewer?

Hey, no issues with 3dmark or any others. I actually have a power meter, and the most the PC is drawing under heavy load is around 500-550W so good on that front I think.

Last I checked event viewer, all it said was that the PC shut down unexpectedly but nothing that provides any further. Might be looking at the wrong place though?

Hey there,

As @4745454b suggested, I'd be thinking of power. Whilst the RMx is a really good PSU, and is often one I suggest to users looking for a quality gold unit. With that said, that doesn't mean your is running okay. The RTX series of GPU's have super fast transient power spikes. The call on the PSU when this happens goes from low to high in a microsecond. This causes the over protections on the PSU to engage, and the system restarts. I suspect that could be the issue.

Do you still have the old GPU? Can you stick something else in other than the 3090 and test again. Alternatively, testing with another PSU is an option.

invictus9407

Prominent
Jan 1, 2022
Hey there,

As @4745454b suggested, I'd be thinking of power. Whilst the RMx is a really good PSU, and is often one I suggest to users looking for a quality gold unit. With that said, that doesn't mean your is running okay. The RTX series of GPU's have super fast transient power spikes. The call on the PSU when this happens goes from low to high in a microsecond. This causes the over protections on the PSU to engage, and the system restarts. I suspect that could be the issue.

Do you still have the old GPU? Can you stick something else in other than the 3090 and test again. Alternatively, testing with another PSU is an option.

Hey, thanks for the reply!

I do have the old GPU, so definitely could test it out with that, however, the power meter I'm using shows that the power draw is usually at around 500-550W at high load, and no issues running any other benchmarking software like 3dmark. I've also had no issues gaming for extended periods of time - so just wondering if you still think that the PSU/power is likely a culprit here? Wouldn't I also expect to see issues with 3dmark and/or gaming for extended periods of time if power was indeed the issue?

One thing I did realise was that a couple of times Cinebench (the app itself) didn't actually open up at all. Similarly, I noticed that the CPU score was quite low compared to the average for 5900x on 3dmark, so I'm wondering if I'm not utilising it fully for some reason. I haven't made any changes to the out of box settings so far, but I did undervolt my GPU a little.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Since it's Cinebench, your GPU shouldn't even go out of its 2D clocks (displaying the desktop).
Have you checked on the RAM? Are they in A2 and B2 slots? No errors? In something like HCI Memtest or Testmem5. Linpack Extreme, Y-cruncher (2.5b is a slightly longer test but still a bit too short but it is quick).
Faulty and unstable RAM can also cause random reboots.

Do you have chipset drivers installed? Cinebench should almost completely fit in your L3 cache so it's not much of a system test for newer CPUs.

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for the reply!

I do have the old GPU, so definitely could test it out with that, however, the power meter I'm using shows that the power draw is usually at around 500-550W at high load, and no issues running any other benchmarking software like 3dmark. I've also had no issues gaming for extended periods of time - so just wondering if you still think that the PSU/power is likely a culprit here? Wouldn't I also expect to see issues with 3dmark and/or gaming for extended periods of time if power was indeed the issue?

One thing I did realise was that a couple of times Cinebench (the app itself) didn't actually open up at all. Similarly, I noticed that the CPU score was quite low compared to the average for 5900x on 3dmark, so I'm wondering if I'm not utilising it fully for some reason. I haven't made any changes to the out of box settings so far, but I did undervolt my GPU a little.

Yes, it could be your average watt usage is about that mark, but the power spikes push that upwards of 750w easily. Try the other GPU with Cinebench. If the problem isn't there, you know it's the 3090. Work from there.

4745454b

Titan
Yes, it could be your average watt usage is about that mark, but the power spikes push that upwards of 750w easily.

But he has an 850W PSU. A quality one at that. I don't see it pushing above 900W at all. And I'm not sure where the OCP is set on that model but it should handle any spikes easily.

I'm really not sure where the issue issue. Stress checking the CPU, GPU and RAM is what I'd do next. Test them one at a time and see what if anything fails. I'd also make sure things are set correctly in the bios. Vcore, clock speeds, voltages, etc is correctly set for everything. Look for anything off.

invictus9407

Prominent
Jan 1, 2022
Apologies for going MIA for several days, been super busy. It seems like the culprit may have been my chipset drivers - I uninstalled the old chipset drivers for my previous CPU (the R5 3600) and installed the latest chipset drivers, and I was able to run Cinebench no issues. Thanks for your help and tips, folks!

Reactions: 4745454b

TRENDING THREADS