Cinematronics (Star Castle) Monitor Troubleshooting

Just picked up a pretty decent Star Castle. Game plays blind.

Deflection chatter heard, hv fine. Turn up brightness and just have glowing
white screen.

When the power is turned on, the heater glows brightly, then dims. Sound
like a bad tube?

Thanks,

Jim

Andre

I'm not an excerpt or even know where to start on these monitors other than
basic troubleshooting. It sounds like your tube is fine since you can turn
up the brightness and get a white screen. My guess is that something is bad
on the monitor chassis boards or the video signals aren't getting to the
chassis from the game board.

good luck, post if you find any help.....I know there are a couple of other
collectors out here who like to get their monitor running.

"arcaderehab" <nospam@mail.com> wrote in message
> Just picked up a pretty decent Star Castle. Game plays blind.
>
> Deflection chatter heard, hv fine. Turn up brightness and just have
> glowing
> white screen.
>
> When the power is turned on, the heater glows brightly, then dims. Sound
> like a bad tube?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim

Thanks Andre.

I think that I'm going to check out the intensity section of the board.
I'm not sure but I think since I'm getting deflection chatter that
*some* signals are making it to the board. From what I've read, there's
intensity data sent from the CPU to the chassis, and the state is
either 'bright' or 'really bright'. It seems that this information is
not being sent by the CPU or translated in the intensity circuit on the
chassis.

I'll definitely keep a log on this situation and update the group.

Best,

Jim

Hi Tony,

I'm going to be taking another stab at this monitor this weekend. I
have a spare chassis now to play with and will definitely post to the
group (and the helpful guys at vectorlist) anything I find out.

Best,

Jim

Hey John,

Thanks for the advice! You're talking about the DAC80s on the video
board, right? If so, I borrowed a friend's Star Castle MPU and plugged
that into my video board/monitor, and everything worked fine. I could
see all the vectors and play the game.

When I probe all the pins on connector J2 on the mainboard, all data
pins have activity except the Bright and Intensity pins. (I checked
those pins against the good Star Castle mainboard I had, and they are
supposed to have activity...)

Ugh!

Anyway, let me know if you have any other suggestions. I appreciate it!!

Tony