Cingular rollover vs. Nextel free incoming?

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

Does anyone have any opinions on comparing the value of Cingular's
rollover minutes (GSM) to Nextel's free incoming plans?

I'm leaning toward the Nextel free incoming as being the more
attractive, but maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks.

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone have any opinions on comparing the value of Cingular's
> rollover minutes (GSM) to Nextel's free incoming plans?
>
> I'm leaning toward the Nextel free incoming as being the more
> attractive, but maybe I'm missing something.

I would think the main consideration might be whether or not you use about
the same number of minutes every month. Is your usage all over the board?
If so, the Cingular option might give you the flexibility to bank some
minutes for those heavy use months. But if your usage is fairly even from
month to month, Cingular becomes less attractive- you are just banking
minutes that you'll probably never use. In the second case, free incoming
might be the better deal. Another thing about the free incoming- it gives
you pretty much total control over your minutes. The only minutes used are
the ones where you initiate the call- if you're getting low on minutes, you
can answer the phone without worrying about going over.

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

When doing your research, remember you can also get 1st incoming minutes
free with Cingular for $4.99 per month.

Every carrier also provides free mobile-to-mobile minutes for a fee or
included in the plan you choose. Check with your friends and family to see
what service they are on so you can take advantage of mobile to mobile
minutes. Consider that most long conversations are with your closest
friends and family members.

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone have any opinions on comparing the value of Cingular's
> rollover minutes (GSM) to Nextel's free incoming plans?
>
> I'm leaning toward the Nextel free incoming as being the more
> attractive, but maybe I'm missing something.
>
> Thanks.

>I'm leaning toward the Nextel free incoming as being the more
>attractive, but maybe I'm missing something.

Cingular is cellular.

NEXTEL is walkie talkie service.

--
John S.

In article <20040504024640.17253.00000701@mb-m03.aol.com>,
sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree (John S.) wrote:

> Cingular is cellular.
>
> NEXTEL is walkie talkie service.

No, Nextel is phone service, too.

mark

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

On Mon, 03 May 2004 22:36:05 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
<elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

>Does anyone have any opinions on comparing the value of Cingular's
>rollover minutes (GSM) to Nextel's free incoming plans?
>
>I'm leaning toward the Nextel free incoming as being the more
>attractive, but maybe I'm missing something.
>
>Thanks.

What is your main usage? Do you need to be available to people calling you,
or do you need to make many calls. That should help you answer your own
question.

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

In article <elmop-3025BD.22360503052004@news.usenetserver.com>,
"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have any opinions on comparing the value of Cingular's
> rollover minutes (GSM) to Nextel's free incoming plans?
>
> I'm leaning toward the Nextel free incoming as being the more
> attractive, but maybe I'm missing something.

Depends on YOUR unique calling pattern.

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

In article <8IFlc.59923$fd4.43314@newssvr25.news.prodigy.com>,
"Richie" <mbc@pacbell.net> wrote:

> Consider that most long conversations are with your closest
> friends and family members.

Certainly not everyone, usually not with business phones.

sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree (John S.) wrote in message news:<20040504024640.17253.00000701@mb-m03.aol.com>...
> >I'm leaning toward the Nextel free incoming as being the more
> >attractive, but maybe I'm missing something.
>
> Cingular is cellular.
>
> NEXTEL is walkie talkie service.

While you do love pointing that out, what difference does it make to
the end user? If it takes and makes telephone calls, and has coverage
and rates accetable to the user, who cares if it's cellular, PCS, iDEN
or even AM radio?

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone have any opinions on comparing the value of Cingular's
> rollover minutes (GSM) to Nextel's free incoming plans?
>
> I'm leaning toward the Nextel free incoming as being the more
> attractive, but maybe I'm missing something.
>
> Thanks.

Elmo - Nextel offers free incoming calls as most of your INcoming calls go
straight to voicemail anyway. I've used many services including Cingular
and (Nextel for several years, but not by choice . . . employer required
it). Nextel is the single worst cellular provider there is. PERIOD
Comparing Nextel to Cingular is like comparing Kia to Lexus. Don't even
think about signing up with Nextel, you will KILL yourself if you do. That
is, you will look back and recall that *I* warned you, and feel really
stupid that you didn't heed the warning.

Cingular GSM . . . Great handsets, reliable network, not much more to say
but it just WORKS

Nextel . . . shitty selection of shitty handsets, impossible to find a
signal in most areas, nearly impossible to make calls where you DO find a
signal and forget about incoming calls. If people try to call your nextel
handset and you are in an area with a GOOD signal . . . they will either get
a busy signal (while you are NOT USING THE HANDSET), or their calls will go
straight to voicemail. (free WHAT?!?!? . . . there's no such thing as
incoming calls on the nextel network!!!) -Dave

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote in message news:elmop-
> > Cingular is cellular.
> >
> > NEXTEL is walkie talkie service.
>
> No, Nextel is phone service, too.

Have you carried a nextel handset? I have. If it's phone service also, you
couldn't prove it by me. -Dave

>No, Nextel is phone service, too.

NO, NEXTEL is walkie talkie service that has a phone "patch" to allow their
customers to make telephone calls.

Watch their ads on TV, Their whole "Done" campaign is to promote their walkie
talkie's and they never mention the phone patch that allows you to make phone
calls.

--
John S.

>> Consider that most long conversations are with your closest
>> friends and family members.
>
>Certainly not everyone, usually not with business phones.

However, most of the so called "Family Plans" not only allow for free between
family members but all users of that companies service.

My Sprint PCS family plan allows free calling between ANY Sprint PCS
subscriber. With AT&T it is "mobile to mobile" which allows free calls to all
AT&T mobile customers.

This of course promotes their strong position in the business world. I still
call people that I worked with over the years for free using my AT&T phone
because they too have AT&T.

So, back to the original poster, you need to consider how you expect your phone
to be used. Free incoming is great for the "girls" in the Personals section of
the news paper but for those of us who make and receive calls, it might not
balance out compared with a plan that allows free calls between customers of
the same cellular company.

And too, if your calling varies month to month, Cingulars rollover plans are
great.

--
John S.

Scott

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> Does anyone have any opinions on comparing the value of Cingular's
> rollover minutes (GSM) to Nextel's free incoming plans?
>
> I'm leaning toward the Nextel free incoming as being the more
> attractive, but maybe I'm missing something.
>
> Thanks.

Wow, tough question, especially if Nextel and Cingular offer good
coverage in the area that you live and mostly travel to. I have a
love/hate thing with Nextel and I *ONLY* stay because of the free
incoming minutes and direct connect. True other carriers offer free
mobile-to-mobile options, but, many of my calls are from current or
perspective clients who are not calling from a mobile phone. I very
freely give out my number due to the free incoming plan.

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

You're right. I should add business associates.

But if it's a business phone, then the business should select and pay for it
(unless you own your own business).

In article <c78l5m$12eoe$1@ID-233294.news.uni-berlin.de>,
"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote:

> Cingular GSM . . . Great handsets, reliable network, not much more to say
> but it just WORKS

Well, that's good to know. That was an underlying question of mine. I
currently have the Cingular Nation plan from about 2 years ago, where
every call is a local call (just like the current Nation GAIT plan), and
was/am hesitant to move to GSM.

But I figured, if I'm going to move to Cingular GSM, I might as well
look around at everyone else, then, including Nextel. I've had Nextel
before, and in general your assessment isn't too far off the mark--but
that was 3 years ago when I left them. I don't know how it is today.

> If people try to call your nextel
> handset and you are in an area with a GOOD signal . . . they will either get
> a busy signal (while you are NOT USING THE HANDSET), or their calls will go
> straight to voicemail. (free WHAT?!?!? . . . there's no such thing as
> incoming calls on the nextel network!!!) -Dave

Frankly, I get the same behavior on my Cingular phone today. Not very
often, but often enough to be very noticeable. My phone will be dead
silent and then all of the sudden alert me to a new voicemail. But the
phone never rang...

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

In article <vd6f90t5q9k4f879hj47gtju2hu0i15rpj@4ax.com>,
Mark <me@privacy.net> wrote:

> >I'm leaning toward the Nextel free incoming as being the more
> >attractive, but maybe I'm missing something.
> >
> >Thanks.
>

> What is your main usage? Do you need to be available to people calling you,
> or do you need to make many calls. That should help you answer your own
> question.

It's split about even, which means the free incoming extends the minutes
I buy. I wouldn't hesitate to leverage the free incoming by having
colleagues call me back.

In article <c78l8k$10fm5$1@ID-233294.news.uni-berlin.de>,
"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote:

> > No, Nextel is phone service, too.
> >

> Have you carried a nextel handset? I have. If it's phone service also, you
> couldn't prove it by me. -Dave

Yes, I have. Had it 3 years ago.

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

In article <rmm-51420E.04531204052004@news1.west.earthlink.net>,
"Robert M." <rmm@msn.com> wrote:

> > Consider that most long conversations are with your closest
> > friends and family members.
>
> Certainly not everyone, usually not with business phones.

That's my use for this--business.

Someone else mentioned the crummy selection of phones at Nextel. Well,
for my purposes, just about EVERYONE has a crummy selection of
phones--because I don't want camera phones, I don't want mp3 phones, I
don't do web browsing, I don't want a PDA, etc. I want a voice phone
for BUSINESS purposes.

And when you start looking at *anyone's* selection of phones, there's
usually only one or two that are aimed at business users using them for
voice.

It's a market aimed at teeny-boppers and attracting their entertainment
dollar. At least Nextel is aimed squarely at the business market, at
least that's their gig anyway.

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

In article <xNPlc.44905$0H5.20996@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com>,
"Richie" <mbc@pacbell.net> wrote:

> But if it's a business phone, then the business should select and pay for it
> (unless you own your own business).

The business doesn't select my phones. My company does pay, but only up
to a point. I manage my wireless dollars myself. It's just an amount
I'm allotted. (If I want to pay more, I do so out of my own pocket.)

This is for business, pure and simple. I like the idea of freely giving
out my cell phone number without worry, that's all. But maybe the
rollover minutes provide an equal benefit. That's what I'm trying to
decide.

In article <20040504112856.27697.00000538@mb-m17.aol.com>,
sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree (John S.) wrote:

> So, back to the original poster, you need to consider how you expect your
> phone
> to be used. Free incoming is great for the "girls" in the Personals section
> of
> the news paper but for those of us who make and receive calls, it might not
> balance out compared with a plan that allows free calls between customers of
> the same cellular company.

I don't expect many, if any, of my received calls to come from any kind
of cellular system. Sure, a few of my colleagues will call me--but
they're all over the map (like I said before, my company doesn't dictate
what phone or supplier we use). And I'm in somewhat of a support
position.

myself

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

Elmo, please dont tell me you listened to that. I am in no way saying Nextel
has the greatist coverage on Earth but I am saying that it all depends on
where you'll use it. I dont have to explain this, as that gets discussed at
least 3 times a week on these newsgroups. Not to mention, this guy seems to
be all hyped up on emotion. We all know emotion is a reliable source of
solid wisdom... Oh, and if it matters my Nextel has better service than my
friends' Cingulars where I go to college. Now, this is not true for any
carrier everywhere or every carrier anywhere, but it ain't no Kia! Ask
around, see what works best in your area, but please dont get caught up by
one opinion.

> In article <c78l5m$12eoe$1@ID-233294.news.uni-berlin.de>,
> "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote:
>
> > Cingular GSM . . . Great handsets, reliable network, not much more to
say
> > but it just WORKS
>
> Well, that's good to know. That was an underlying question of mine. I
> currently have the Cingular Nation plan from about 2 years ago, where
> every call is a local call (just like the current Nation GAIT plan), and
> was/am hesitant to move to GSM.
>
> But I figured, if I'm going to move to Cingular GSM, I might as well
> look around at everyone else, then, including Nextel. I've had Nextel
> before, and in general your assessment isn't too far off the mark--but
> that was 3 years ago when I left them. I don't know how it is today.
>

> > If people try to call your nextel
> > handset and you are in an area with a GOOD signal . . . they will either
get
> > a busy signal (while you are NOT USING THE HANDSET), or their calls will
go
> > straight to voicemail. (free WHAT?!?!? . . . there's no such thing as
> > incoming calls on the nextel network!!!) -Dave
>
> Frankly, I get the same behavior on my Cingular phone today. Not very
> often, but often enough to be very noticeable. My phone will be dead
> silent and then all of the sudden alert me to a new voicemail. But the
> phone never rang...

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

"> Frankly, I get the same behavior on my Cingular phone today. Not very
> often, but often enough to be very noticeable. My phone will be dead
> silent and then all of the sudden alert me to a new voicemail. But the
> phone never rang...

That's strange. I haven't noticed that on Cingular, but then I'm on GSM
nation. -Dave

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Hello

Cingular is real poor now. There GSM service is real bad. My close
friend is a RF tech for Cingular. Well Guys hate to break the bad news
There RF techs use Nextel phones to work on the Towers. We have 2,000
nextel phones for our Company and all have the free in. Stay away from
Cingular GSM for 12 months. You will find lots of very unhappy people.

From steve
Fleet OPS

On Tue, 4 May 2004 21:21:09 -0400, "Myself" <email@domain.com> wrote:

>Elmo, please dont tell me you listened to that. I am in no way saying Nextel
>has the greatist coverage on Earth but I am saying that it all depends on
>where you'll use it. I dont have to explain this, as that gets discussed at
>least 3 times a week on these newsgroups. Not to mention, this guy seems to
>be all hyped up on emotion. We all know emotion is a reliable source of
>solid wisdom... Oh, and if it matters my Nextel has better service than my
>friends' Cingulars where I go to college. Now, this is not true for any
>carrier everywhere or every carrier anywhere, but it ain't no Kia! Ask
>around, see what works best in your area, but please dont get caught up by
>one opinion.
>

>"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote in message
>> In article <c78l5m$12eoe$1@ID-233294.news.uni-berlin.de>,
>> "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote:
>>
>> > Cingular GSM . . . Great handsets, reliable network, not much more to
>say
>> > but it just WORKS
>>
>> Well, that's good to know. That was an underlying question of mine. I
>> currently have the Cingular Nation plan from about 2 years ago, where
>> every call is a local call (just like the current Nation GAIT plan), and
>> was/am hesitant to move to GSM.
>>
>> But I figured, if I'm going to move to Cingular GSM, I might as well
>> look around at everyone else, then, including Nextel. I've had Nextel
>> before, and in general your assessment isn't too far off the mark--but
>> that was 3 years ago when I left them. I don't know how it is today.
>>

>> > If people try to call your nextel
>> > handset and you are in an area with a GOOD signal . . . they will either
>get
>> > a busy signal (while you are NOT USING THE HANDSET), or their calls will
>go
>> > straight to voicemail. (free WHAT?!?!? . . . there's no such thing as
>> > incoming calls on the nextel network!!!) -Dave
>>
>> Frankly, I get the same behavior on my Cingular phone today. Not very
>> often, but often enough to be very noticeable. My phone will be dead
>> silent and then all of the sudden alert me to a new voicemail. But the
>> phone never rang...

Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors,
disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent
theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will
only add to the overall beauty of the post.

"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

> "> Frankly, I get the same behavior on my Cingular phone today. Not very
> > often, but often enough to be very noticeable. My phone will be dead
> > silent and then all of the sudden alert me to a new voicemail. But the
> > phone never rang...
> >

> That's strange. I haven't noticed that on Cingular, but then I'm on GSM
> nation. -Dave

I have noticed the same thing, with three different phones
over the course of three years. Pretty random, no rhyme
or reason to it just sometimes it vibrates at me about
a voicemail.
I did have a problem with one certain ring
that was assigned to my girlfriends number, I changed
it and that solved the problem. Do you have custom
rings set up? Is it one certain ring? Is it one number?

I was on gsm nation, now extended local gsm home.