CIS (cloud computing certificate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
Hello all,

I am getting bored at work. I have been working from home since the pandemic began and its been rather nice however, they keep reminding me its not permanent and I will eventually have to return to the office. I am a coordinator in the sales department of a private insurance company. I have licenses in personal lines. These licenses are actually meant for sales agents, but because part of the work I do involves underwriting policies I have to have knowledge of contractual guidelines. The majority of the work I do involves DOS based systems & other back end systems. I learned how to use them in a different department before I was brought over to the one I am currently in. Few people at my company know how to navigate them. I have no formal training in hardware, tech, programing, or CIS. The community college near me has a CIS program with an emphasis in Amazon Web Services.

Just want a general opinion from anyone in the field if this sounds like a good starter program. Are there other programs I should be looking into first?
https://www.mtsac.edu/cis/cloudcomputing/ - this is a link to the coriculum for this certificate

Ralston18

Titan
I am not sure that "Cloud computing" certification will be all that viable or useful in the long run.

I would not consider that program as a good starter into IT.

If you are interested in "DOS based systems ...." etc., you may be better served by learning Powershell.

Or Python for general coding purposes and data analysis.

Either one will keep you challenged and will not be boring.

Very likely, if you are so inclined and self-disciplined you can learn enough on your own for very little cost. A couple of books perhaps.

Lots of good information online as well....

Give either one an honest try and if you like it - take some classes as applicable.

That said, hopefully someone with Cloud experience, certifications will add other suggestions, comments, and ideas.

Reactions: M3rKn

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
I am not sure that "Cloud computing" certification will be all that viable or useful in the long run.

I would not consider that program as a good starter into IT.

If you are interested in "DOS based systems ...." etc., you may be better served by learning Powershell.

Or Python for general coding purposes and data analysis.

Either one will keep you challenged and will not be boring.

Very likely, if you are so inclined and self-disciplined you can learn enough on your own for very little cost. A couple of books perhaps.

Lots of good information online as well....

Give either one an honest try and if you like it - take some classes as applicable.

That said, hopefully someone with Cloud experience, certifications will add other suggestions, comments, and ideas.
Thank you for the response, and for nudging me in the right direction.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello all,

I am getting board at work. I have been working from home since the pandemic began and its been rather nice however, they keep reminding me its not permanent and I will eventually have to return to the office. I am a coordinator in the sales department of a private insurance company. I have licenses in personal lines. These licenses are actually meant for sales agents, but because part of the work I do involves underwriting policies I have to have knowledge of contractual guidelines. The majority of the work I do involves DOS based systems & other back end systems. I learned how to use them in a different department before I was brought over to the one I am currently in. Few people at my company know how to navigate them. I have no formal training in hardware, tech, programing, or CIS. The community college near me has a CIS program with an emphasis in Amazon Web Services.

Just want a general opinion from anyone in the field if this sounds like a good starter program. Are there other programs I should be looking into first?
https://www.mtsac.edu/cis/cloudcomputing/ - this is a link to the coriculum for this certificate
Your current like of work would not value such a certification. If you are thinking about changing careers, then AWS certification could be useful. The larger the company, the more likely that some type of cloud migration is in progress or planned.

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
Your current like of work would not value such a certification. If you are thinking about changing careers, then AWS certification could be useful. The larger the company, the more likely that some type of cloud migration is in progress or planned.
My company currently has openings for Associate Java Developer, VM Engineer, It Security Admin, Senior DEVOps Engineer -Big Data, Tableau Developer, Tomcat and Apache Systems Administrator. So yes if I wanted to stay with my company I would need way more knowledge & experience. I don't see that we have any entry level openings. Right now I am seeing what I can learn about PowerShell on my own, but it looks like learning Java would be beneficial as well.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
what i have seen that brings the big money is linux administrator. you are already handy with a command line and that is mainly what scares people off of linux as whole.

your other observation matches what i am seeing also in my area. lots o openings for "senior" admin, engineer, security etc but no openings for entry level. if you don't mind staying in the command line world, i'd suggest the linux direction. Red hat certification or Comptia Linux+ are both worth going after if you are so inclined.

otherwise, i am seeing a lot of AWS/MS Azure openings and they are a lot of sales type jobs. where you would help design and then sell a companies cloud administrations services to clients. with your sales and contract background, if you got into Azure or AWS, those would likely be some good jobs you could actually get.

just a couple thoughts i had based on my recent schooling and job hunting for my area. :)

Reactions: M3rKn

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
what i have seen that brings the big money is linux administrator. you are already handy with a command line and that is mainly what scares people off of linux as whole.

your other observation matches what i am seeing also in my area. lots o openings for "senior" admin, engineer, security etc but no openings for entry level. if you don't mind staying in the command line world, i'd suggest the linux direction. Red hat certification or Comptia Linux+ are both worth going after if you are so inclined.

otherwise, i am seeing a lot of AWS/MS Azure openings and they are a lot of sales type jobs. where you would help design and then sell a companies cloud administrations services to clients. with your sales and contract background, if you got into Azure or AWS, those would likely be some good jobs you could actually get.

just a couple thoughts i had based on my recent schooling and job hunting for my area. :)
well I appreciate the information, I am grinding away at this in my free time

I will update you guys in about 10 years :ROFLMAO:

Status
Not open for further replies.