[SOLVED] Cisco Air-CAP2602i-E-K9 Set up issue

STUKguy

Prominent
May 31, 2020
Hi,

So i recently brought a Cisco Air-CAP2602i-E-K9 with out proper research on it (assumed it would work with a normal POE) and not relieazing i need a Cisco Controller? is that correct that i require a controller? and if so is there away around setting it up with out the controller?
What i have done - So i have POE switch i plugged ethernet cable into this and then into the Cisco AP which then it powered up i then plugged in a ethernet cable into the console and plugged this into my laptop. i then did 30-30-30 reset process then i still had a blue flashing light and then it just went to a red flashing light, something tells me this process is incorrect please advise?
Thank you greatly

Its been a long while since I messed with these. This may or may not be a option on that particular device. Many AP can run in either controller or Autonomous mode. The ones I messed with you had to force the device into a firmware recovery mode and load a different software version on that did not use the controller. The device lost a lot of the fancy features that are supported on the controller model. Cisco is pretty good about instructions on how to do stuff like this. What I don't know is if you are going to be able to get a copy of the firmware. Most cisco firmware is locked behind a subscription service plan.

All I really remember is I got it working and then tossed the device back on the trash pile at work where I found it since it was old and slow and didn't have much interesting to play with.

STUKguy

Prominent
May 31, 2020
Its been a long while since I messed with these. This may or may not be a option on that particular device. Many AP can run in either controller or Autonomous mode. The ones I messed with you had to force the device into a firmware recovery mode and load a different software version on that did not use the controller. The device lost a lot of the fancy features that are supported on the controller model. Cisco is pretty good about instructions on how to do stuff like this. What I don't know is if you are going to be able to get a copy of the firmware. Most cisco firmware is locked behind a subscription service plan.

All I really remember is I got it working and then tossed the device back on the trash pile at work where I found it since it was old and slow and didn't have much interesting to play with.
Thank you for your reply, I found out I also need a console cable.

I brought this as it was cheap-ish and thought it would fit what I need it for. We also use these at my work place and they aren't the best either.

I mainly just need to extend my WiFi via a wireless AP (preferably POE) what would you suggest I look at?

STUKguy

Prominent
May 31, 2020
The best cheap AP with enterprise like features are from ubiquiti. They make a large selection. Theirs can run either with or without their controller. The good news is the controller software if you want it is free.
Thank you I will look into this now

kanewolf

Titan
Thank you I will look into this now
Ubiquiti APs will only wirelessly connect to other Ubiquiti devices. If you are trying to extend ISP router (or non-Ubiquiti personal router) WIFI then it won't work.
Have you exhausted the none ethernet direct cabling options of MOCA and Powerline ? Either of those options is better than a wireless uplink.
If you have ANY kind of wired connection back to your primary router, you can use any normal WIFI router as an access point.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS