Cisco Catalyst 1900 Series Switch Fan Problem

TC10284

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2001
Hey guys,

I have a Cisco Catalyst 1900 series 10mbps switch that has a faulty fan. The fan will not spin at all and taking another 12v 3 pin fan and connecting it to the Cisco switch doesn't even work. The connector itself doesn't give any power.
If left on, the part of the switch case that has the power supply under it gets pretty warm. Not hot, but warm enough to cause me concerns. The switch works fine other than this.

Is there anyway that I can rig up some way to cool this switch?

Thanks,

Tavis

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
The fan that was in there might have been a diff voltage, a 5v fan maybe. Check the fan that came out to see if it has specs on it. You could use a voltmeter to see if power is comming off those leads.
Or just go down to radioshack or something and get a 12v power adapter and hard wire a fan to it.

TC10284

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2001
Right. I looked into that before.
They were both 12v fans. I tested the power leads for the fan and they are not giving power themselves.

The only thing I can think of to do is jump a 12v and a ground line from another source. I'd like to get the fan working because the switch does work perfect other than this (just gets pretty warm without traffic running through it). I don't need it but I'd like to get the fan working.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Only decent internal way of doing it I can think of would be to test the leads coming off the powersupply to see if there is a 12v among them. Then just splice into that.

riser

Illustrious
Wrap it in aluminum foil and put it in your freezer..

Cisco switches tend to get warm.. they're also designed to be kept in rooms with a constant temp of around 68 degrees or less.. 72 degrees is the point when first stage alarms should start to sound.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
I'd say ciscos get burning rather than warm, lol. The 3500 fiber switch at my work is in a server room that is kept at 60F spits out air that is about 80-90F and the case is almost to hot to touch :)

riser

Illustrious
That seems a little toasty... haha

I worked with the 6000 series catalysts, 1560s or 1580 combo things? Not sure.. I have a room full of them 15 feet away and I don't even know the models.. I'd say by touching them and the air coming out, they're normal. Not hot, slightly warm.. I think our server room sits at 70-72 degree.

Last place when we lost power to the AC one day, server room went from 64 to 100 in about 4 minutes.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Air conditoners definatly need their own backup units. They are just as important as power in a packed server room. Our server room lost power over a weekend once but no one was there to open doors/shut stuff down. Luckily the servers decided to shut themselves down instead of die a sizzling death, lost a couple nics though oddly enough. We had to open the server room door with a pot holder it was so hot, lol. Ciscos must have a high heat tolerence because we didn't lose any of our network equipment.

riser

Illustrious
For the price they better stand up to heat..

We ended up putting in two 2 1/2 ton AC units on a seperate phase/generator. They rotated on and off every other week.

Now at my current job.. we put in a $25,000 generator with a basic 1 ton AC unit.. no backup. So when we lose power, we have to go push this reset button the AC to make it work, which takes 20 minutes to reset and push cold air out.