Cisco Pix 506E firewall won't allow voice connection

My boyfriend lives in an apartment building that provides cable internet, but
we can't get voice to connect on Messenger. The internet is provided through
a Pix 506E. I checked the Cisco site but wasn't able to find much info; is
this a situation where downloading firmware will solve the problem, or does
the firewall have to be configured to allow the required port to be opened?
If configuring the firewall is the solution, can anyone tell me which port it
is that has to be opened? Thanks!

Greetings,

In order for voice conversations to be consistently establish through routers, the router
must support Universal Plug and Play (UPnP). Unfortunately the Pix 506E does not, and as
such, this probably won't work. However, if you want to try some things to see if Messenger
can try to connect uses some "tricks", the ports used are 5004 through 65535 UDP.

If you continue to have issues, I'd suggest you use Skype (www.skype.com).
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> In order for voice conversations to be consistently establish through routers, the router
> must support Universal Plug and Play (UPnP). Unfortunately the Pix 506E does not, and as
> such, this probably won't work. However, if you want to try some things to see if Messenger
> can try to connect uses some "tricks", the ports used are 5004 through 65535 UDP.
>
> If you continue to have issues, I'd suggest you use Skype (www.skype.com).
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>
> "mlou65" <mlou65@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My boyfriend lives in an apartment building that provides cable internet, but
> > we can't get voice to connect on Messenger. The internet is provided through
> > a Pix 506E. I checked the Cisco site but wasn't able to find much info; is
> > this a situation where downloading firmware will solve the problem, or does
> > the firewall have to be configured to allow the required port to be opened?
> > If configuring the firewall is the solution, can anyone tell me which port it
> > is that has to be opened? Thanks!

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks so much for your help. We haven't been able to get the apartment
building's "tech guy" to open the ports, but in the meantime Skype is working
great!

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> In order for voice conversations to be consistently establish through routers, the router
> must support Universal Plug and Play (UPnP). Unfortunately the Pix 506E does not, and as
> such, this probably won't work. However, if you want to try some things to see if Messenger
> can try to connect uses some "tricks", the ports used are 5004 through 65535 UDP.
>
> If you continue to have issues, I'd suggest you use Skype (www.skype.com).
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>
> "mlou65" <mlou65@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My boyfriend lives in an apartment building that provides cable internet, but
> > we can't get voice to connect on Messenger. The internet is provided through
> > a Pix 506E. I checked the Cisco site but wasn't able to find much info; is
> > this a situation where downloading firmware will solve the problem, or does
> > the firewall have to be configured to allow the required port to be opened?
> > If configuring the firewall is the solution, can anyone tell me which port it
> > is that has to be opened? Thanks!

Hi,

Oh, if they're doing some sort of "sharing setup" then this probably won't work either [and
fowarded such a large amount of ports for one single person probably isn't very preferable].
Glad to hear it Skype is an ok workaround for you.