[SOLVED] Cisco RV340 not getting speed more than 100mbps?

Jaiff

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2015
I bought Cisco RV340 Router for my office to connect two WAN 1 has 300mbps connection another is 5mbps I am getting 300mbps speed when I connect directly from modem but through RV340 getting only under 90mbps speed. I have connected with 4 pair cable and port mode is on auto negotiation gigabit(other available options are 10mbps half, 10mbps full, 100mbps half, 100mbps full) and on port speed status it says 1000mbps

Why I am not getting 300mbps speed? What could be the reason for that? How can I resolve it?

Another thing is that in the License section it says under:
License Authorization Status: Out of Compliance

I have contacted customer care but they say I have to contact Cisco partner first to get a license then they can open the case. How can I resolve this license issue?

Thanks

Solution
Then just buy a new router if you think it is can not be the cable :(

Just because a cable works on one device but not another just means the other devices are more tolerant of a cable that is slightly out of spec.

The speed negotiation is done almost entirely in hardware. Your only options are a bad cable or a bad port. It is going to be much cheaper to buy new cable since the only way to fix a bad port is to buy a new router.
I am not sure exactly which feature the license covers. Most times it is related to firewall features. They also bundle the support contracts with these too many times. They will not even talk to you or give you new software updates without a contract. You might be able to buy a license but this is a yearly cost and tends to be too expensive for home users or very small business.

You have a bad cable someplace in the path that is running at 100mbps. It might not be the wan port it might be the lan port.

Be very sure you use quality cat5e or better cable. There is massive amounts of fake cable on the market but even quality cable can fail.

Jaiff

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2015
I am not sure exactly which feature the license covers. Most times it is related to firewall features. They also bundle the support contracts with these too many times. They will not even talk to you or give you new software updates without a contract. You might be able to buy a license but this is a yearly cost and tends to be too expensive for home users or very small business.

You have a bad cable someplace in the path that is running at 100mbps. It might not be the wan port it might be the lan port.

Be very sure you use quality cat5e or better cable. There is massive amounts of fake cable on the market but even quality cable can fail.
The cable is working fine same cable I connect directly from the modem to the laptop and give me 267mbps speed but not through RV340. when I connect the same cable through RV340 its gigabit light is not green. see the picture LAN 2. LAN 1 is connected to the switch(D-Link - DGS 1016D).

WAN 1 is connected with a 300mbps broadband connection. WAN 2 is connected with a 5mbps lease line connection.

See the pics:

processed.jpg

RV340 Settings

Clipboard01.jpg

2.jpg

available port mode options:
2.jpg

Just because a cable works on one device but not another just means the other devices are more tolerant of a cable that is slightly out of spec.

The speed negotiation is done almost entirely in hardware. Your only options are a bad cable or a bad port. It is going to be much cheaper to buy new cable since the only way to fix a bad port is to buy a new router.

Solution

Jaiff

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2015

ok, I will buy the new one btw the cable I m using came with this router.

I have a lot of experience with the rv series. They have quirks at times like what you ran across.

A couple of questions. Is the laptop connected directly to that lan2 port? Can you try to connect it to the dlink switch instead? How do you have the multi-wan configured in the rv?

Jaiff

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2015
I have a lot of experience with the rv series. They have quirks at times like what you ran across.

A couple of questions. Is the laptop connected directly to that lan2 port? Can you try to connect it to the dlink switch instead? How do you have the multi-wan configured in the rv?

Yes I have checked both by connecting the Laptop directly to LAN 2 and through D-Link Switch both having speed under 100mbps.
And I haven't configured any multi-wan setting it is default looks like this:

Clipboard01.jpg

Please help me as I am not having any experience in CISCO routers.

Thanks

Yes I have checked both by connecting the Laptop directly to LAN 2 and through D-Link Switch both having speed under 100mbps.
And I haven't configured any multi-wan setting it is default looks like this:

Clipboard01.jpg

Please help me as I am not having any experience in CISCO routers.

Thanks
Does the laptop ethernet link light indicate that the laptop is connecting at 1000Mb or 100Mb when connecting to the dlink? If it is 100Mb, the laptop is the problem as it is limited to 100Mb.

I would change the weighting from percentage to by bandwidth and put in your bandwidth numbers for each wan. Also, see if there is a setting somewhere for load balance/failover and that should be set to load balance.

Jaiff

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2015
Does the laptop ethernet link light indicate that the laptop is connecting at 1000Mb or 100Mb when connecting to the dlink? If it is 100Mb, the laptop is the problem as it is limited to 100Mb.

I would change the weighting from percentage to by bandwidth and put in your bandwidth numbers for each wan. Also, see if there is a setting somewhere for load balance/failover and that should be set to load balance.
when connected laptop gigabit light not working only Link light is on even my switch connected to the LAN 1 Link and gigabit light is green on, through switch not getting speed but when I connect the same laptop with same wire direct to the ISP modem I am getting 250mbps.
I have changed weighting from percentage by bandwidth but same not getting speed more than 100mbps.

Not found any setting about load balance just Multi-WAN which screenshot is above.

At this point either the laptop or the ethernet cable you are using with it is suspect in my eyes. It seems to only be selectively negotiating gigabit which is usually a cabling issue, but also could be the laptop nic if there is a physical problem with the port.

I'm shocked that there's no failover/load-balance switch somewhere. Because not all situations demand load-balance.