[SOLVED] Cisco SG350-28SFP Fiber Optic Connectivity with 100Base T SFP Module

Sep 30, 2020
I have a Cisco SG350-28SFP network switch. Can I use its 24 ports with an SFP that has a maximum data rate of 100Base T? Because my other networking equipment supports a maximum of 100Base T connection, so Cisco switch is not responding with a 1G/10G SFP module with my other equipment. Need urgent help please.

Solution
Hi,

Thanks all for your feedback. Here is the solution for such problem. As Cisco switch is manageable, I logged in to its configuration web portal and changed its port data transmission speed from 1000Base to 100Base. Now same switch with same SFPs is communicating to all equipment I need to.
You have to the proper modules. There is a list of supported ones, cisco many times has thing locked so you must use cisco brand. If you are going to use third party ones check carefully.

100baset is not a fiber standard. Most 100mbps is either 100base-fx or 100base-lx. There some other strange ones.

SFP devices only run 1 speed and light color. You must match both the speed of the model and the laser type on both ends.

So I would look up the technical specs of the port on the other device and buy a cisco sfp that matches.

Sep 30, 2020
You have to the proper modules. There is a list of supported ones, cisco many times has thing locked so you must use cisco brand. If you are going to use third party ones check carefully.

100baset is not a fiber standard. Most 100mbps is either 100base-fx or 100base-lx. There some other strange ones.

SFP devices only run 1 speed and light color. You must match both the speed of the model and the laser type on both ends.

So I would look up the technical specs of the port on the other device and buy a cisco sfp that matches.

Thanks for a reply. Can you please confirm if we can use any Cisco SFP that supports 100M connection speed with SG350-28SFP?

You are going to have to read the manual. Cisco many times only supports very specific modules. Many times for example you can not place a SFP that goes in a business grade device in a enterprise one. You also can't for example put a HP SFP in many cisco devices. They are almost all made by finnair but are intentionally made incompatible in the software.

So first step is to find the list of sft module part numbers that work in your switch. It is on cisco site someplace but it is massive.

At some point I suspect these large switch manufactures are going to stop supporting 100m. Many times with you search 100 sfp you get 100 gigabit. It is hard to even find 100m fiber stuff on cisco.

Just a guess but I suspect as expensive as official cisco SFP are you might be better off using a external media converter and plugging it into one of the copper ethernet ports on the switch.

Sep 30, 2020
Hi,

Thanks all for your feedback. Here is the solution for such problem. As Cisco switch is manageable, I logged in to its configuration web portal and changed its port data transmission speed from 1000Base to 100Base. Now same switch with same SFPs is communicating to all equipment I need to.

Solution