City of Heroes Going Free to Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

artax33

Distinguished
May 4, 2010
Turbine is making a ton of money off of Lord of the Rings Online since going hybrid f2p. Everyone else took notice and are doing a hybrid f2p model now.

bryguy894

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
I enjoyed Champions Online for about a month....maybe less. It will be interesting, if I play this when it goes f2p, to compare the two.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I'd honestly rather pay and get a better gaming experience, but having the option to choose is good. If the game makes more money overall because of it then hopefully that will translate into more/better content.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]it is fun...[/citation]
Agreed, it's the only MMO I've ever enjoyed enough to play for more than a year or 2 (I've actually played it for 7 - nearly as long as it's been around).

roleki

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
[citation][nom]jamesedgeuk2000[/nom]When does it go fun to play?[/citation]
Heh. It once was amazingly fun to play, but as everyday normal people wandered off, it quickly became City of Furries - complete with pandering by the devs and special rules of interaction that favored abnormals.

Hopefully the F2P version brings back more regular people who aren't there solely because they can stick a tail on themselves.

cobra5000

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
COH has a great community, tons of content and more traffic then Champions Online or DC Universe Online. The only problem, just like in WoW, the graphics are very dated because the games have been around awhile. All in all though, great fun and soon you can enjoy for no monthly fee.

alextheblue

Distinguished
That's not the ONLY problem Cobra. After playing Champions Online for a while, and then trying to go back to CoX, I just can't do it. The graphics aren't what kills me. The combat is just too boring (though some ATs are better than others), and the some of the instances get mega repetitive - caves and office buildings in particular. I think CO has a better balance of instanced missions to open world ones.

Also the player created content (mission architect) hurt availability of teams outside of AE facilities. The worst part is that for every awesome player-made series of missions (like Footsteps Initiative), there was about 50 others that were terribad - not even counting supermegaleveling farming missions.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of good things about CoX, and it was a great game back in the day. I still miss masterminds, they were by far my favorite, even more than scrappers. But I just can't go back to it. I can tolerate a little Champions now and then, especially after all the improvements they have made. I'd like a superhero MMO that leverages the best of both of those games, really.

G

I liked CoH but it was just way too boring combat wise. The missions tend to be the same old, same old and I just couldn't get myself to continue playing it. I played it for the community but a lot of old community is turning into douchebags. I won't be returning when it goes F2P, I'll just wait for TOR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS