Civ V, very CPU intensive / is this normal? 1100T

garage1217

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Hey people, I have noticed that once I get up to around turn 350 - 400 or so, on max res / standard sized maps, that it appears my CPU is bottlenecking. The vid card will drop down to 2-5% while the cpu is trying to keep up, once the CPU finishes its part, the vid card is right back and working away. During this very short time, the game bogs down a bit. Generally, prior to turn 350-400ish, the game is smooth as silk. Has anyone else experienced this with Civ V?

1100T OC / 4ghz / 4.2 turbo - H80
Northbridge @ 2600
8gb XMS3 PC2000 8-8-8-16-24 1t
6950 2gb OC 950 / 1500
890gxm-g65 mobo

Solution
Hello,

As the others have stated, it's a CPU issue. There are so many commands running in the back ground when you get so high in turns - that it takes a long time for the CPU to process them all.

This has been pretty normal for all CIV games, even the original.
I wouldn't think their would be a bottleneck....with just one 6950, but yes if the game is CPU usage at points in the game (if you've been monitoring CPU Usages) i know my FX 6100 bottlenecks when a random Explorer.exe thing with my architecture pops up. but ill be changing my CPU this week so hopefully that will be taken care of

Hello,

As the others have stated, it's a CPU issue. There are so many commands running in the back ground when you get so high in turns - that it takes a long time for the CPU to process them all.

This has been pretty normal for all CIV games, even the original.

Solution

garage1217

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Thanks guys, I figured as much. Even civ rev on xbox bogs down when you get in the last stages of the game and it is more of a cartoon version with tons less features and terrible graphics by comparison.

Vid card has gobs of headroom still. Start of the game, it runs around 40% usage, and late in the game, it is around 80%ish. But then drops off when the CPU chokes.

I see they have a late game benchmark built in for civ V, Will run that and see where I am.