News Civilization VII recommends 16 cores and 32GB RAM for 4K gameplay — RTX 4070 or RX 7800XT is the minimum

32GB DDR4-3200 is $50 and DDR5-6400 is $100, with some faster DDR5 being cheaper with sales. In 2024 no desktop system being used for anything over basic office tasks should be using less than 32GB, it's both too inexpensive and beneficial not to. Heck, even with office tasks get the 32GB, $25-$50 now over 16GB and not have to worry about it again.

The 16 core CPU is pushing it, though I imagine it's more for Intel's P+E core models since there are still way too many people ignorant of basic things like the difference between P and E cores.

Last edited:
Reactions: Makaveli

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I really enjoyed Civ V. Civ VI was this long slog of doing things that seemingly had no real effect on the game within some of the shorter play options. Given my experience with that and these insane hardware requirements, I will just save myself some money and grief and skip this.

Reactions: thisisaname
32GB DDR4-3200 is $50 and DDR5-6400 is $100, with some faster DDR5 being cheaper with sales. In 2024 no desktop system being used for anything over basic office tasks should be using less than 32GB, it's both too inexpensive and beneficial not to. Heck, even with office tasks get the 32GB, $25-$50 now over 16GB and not have to worry about it again.

The 16 core CPU is pushing it, though I imagine it's more for Intel's P+E core models since there are still way too many people ignorant of basic things like the difference between P and E cores.
This even work laptops that I order for users in the office are all 32gb of ram standard.

I cannot imagine they mean 16core/32thread but rather 16t. The vast majority of games cannot address more than 2-4t. The few handful that can usually top out at around 8-16t. Who knows, maybe this is the start of really parallelizing games.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
I cannot imagine they mean 16core/32thread but rather 16t. The vast majority of games cannot address more than 2-4t. The few handful that can usually top out at around 8-16t. Who knows, maybe this is the start of really parallelizing games.
You mean graphics, but Civ VII is a strategy game. They probably use all the cores for simulation of AI opponents (and they do mean 16 cores).

Reactions: TJ Hooker

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

I cannot imagine they mean 16core/32thread but rather 16t
No need to speculate, they list specific CPU models in the recommended specs, not just thread/core counts. The recommended CPUs for "Ultra" (4k@60fps, high settings) are i7-14700F/R9-5950X.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GY-jzy6WQAA5XvH?format=jpg&name=large

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
They probably use all the cores for simulation of AI opponents (and they do mean 16 cores).
They may use all cores to simulate scenarios and carry out a single AI's moves, but I hope they are not trying to simulate all AI opponents at once since it's a turn based game. If they are, it would mean they have pre-determined paths for AI behaviors within a turn which would suck. Ideally, if they are doing a true AI opponent then I would think the AI simulation would need to be serial so that each AI is reacting to what the players and other AI did during their turn.

You mean graphics, but Civ VII is a strategy game. They probably use all the cores for simulation of AI opponents (and they do mean 16 cores).
No, I definitely mean what I said specifically. Am I missing the differentiation here? I didn't make that connection that Civ is more akin to a simulation than a game, so the background calcs for that sim certainly could use more cores than a traditional game.
No need to speculate, they list specific CPU models in the recommended specs, not just thread/core counts. The recommended CPUs for "Ultra" (4k@60fps, high settings) are i7-14700F/R9-5950X.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GY-jzy6WQAA5XvH?format=jpg&name=large
I can very easily speculate how many threads the underlying code can address. Just because a game or application recommends a specific CPU that does not mean it's going to redline all of its threads or that its code can even address more than 1t at a time.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I didn’t like Civ VI too much I might give VII a try if only to see whether it can fully utilise all cores.
Like peg all 16C/32T at high usage? I very much doubt it. The CPUs for "Recommended" (1080p/60fps/medium) are 6C/12T, and there generally isn't much difference in CPU utilization from changing resolution (or most other graphics settings), assuming constant FPS. The map size/number of AI civs seems like it'd have a bigger impact on CPU requirements than graphics settings, but that isn't included as a factor in the published system requirements.

Last edited:
Reactions: helper800

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I can very easily speculate how many threads the underlying code can address. Just because a game or application recommends a specific CPU that does not mean it's going to redline all of its threads or that its code can even address more than 1t at a time.
I mean yeah, anyone can make up a number for how many threads the game will use, but no one except the devs really know at this point (except maybe if they are using a game engine that has been benchmarked in other games). I never claimed the game is going to max out a 16C/32T CPU. Just clarified that they very much did "mean 16core/32thread [CPU]" in their published requirements, not a 16 thread CPU as you had assumed.

Reactions: helper800
I mean yeah, anyone can make up a number for how many threads the game will use, but no one except the devs really know at this point (except maybe if they are using a game engine that has been benchmarked in other games). I never claimed the game is going to max out a 16C/32T CPU. Just clarified that they very much did "mean 16core/32thread [CPU]" in their published requirements, not a 16 thread CPU as you had assumed.
You can surmise how many cores a particular program can use with HWiFO and others by looking at core utilization while the application is being used.