CL=2 OR CL=3??

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No meaning to be rude, but why don't you read the last 700 responses on this topic in this forum befor you ask? We all get tired of answering questions repeatedly. Cas2 is faster if your too lazy to look up the full answer.

Suicide is painless...........

igottaknife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, duh your gonna get tired of this sh!t if you're posting over 1700 friggin posts. CL refers to CAS Latency. Simply put 2 is better than 3, regardless of how lazy you are, it still is faster. Since you are new it may help to take an exercise in using the Search Boards for finding any information you need. Questions that usally refer defining terms have been discussed before and will turn up in the search. Also remember to select "all words" instead of the default "entire phrase" unless of course that is what you intended.

<font color=white> This new forum still sucks and btw so does </font color=white> <font color=red> ASUS </font color=red>

smithlc

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
BTW when I was buying memory I had a choice of 7.5ns CL3 or 8ns CL2 (7.5ns CL2 was not available) and asked Crucial Tech support which is faster... they said the 8ns CL2 was slightly faster. I still don't know if I believe it.

chad
(Of course see my other post... my 8ns CL2 appears to be crap).

RocKo

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001
I might be wrong here, but I'm pretty damn sure that the lower the "ns" is the faster the ram will be.
7.5ns = CAS3
7.0ns = CAS2

<font color=red><b>-RocKo</b></font color=red> :cool:

G

www.crucial.com will egzblain everyzing yo neeedz

"akuna mutata" braza... :wink:

smithlc

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
Not sure about that... the CAS is the number of clock cycles it takes to get to the memory location...

http://www.corsairmicro.com/main/trg-cas.html

I think the 7.5ns is the clock. So 8ns cas 2 has takes 16ns to access a new memory location, whereas 7.5ns cas 3 takes 22.5 ns... but this is just me interpreting research and could be dead wrong.

chad

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
You got it wrong. The ns refers to the time it takes for the memory to access the very first and only the first access of that group of information. The CAS refers to how many cycles it takes between transfering information. So if you think that the .5ns isn't worth saveing a clock cycle everytime data is transfered then your on crack and go buy your cheep ram.

Someday I will stop asking all the questions!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nope, your on Pot-Crucial is a highly respected brand who's Cas2 is rated at 7.5ns, the same as their Cas3. I have my Crucial PC133 Cas2 7.5ns memory (2 128MB) set at Cas2, 2-2-2, 5/7!

Suicide is painless...........

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
lol DOH, I got confused as to what he was saying. I thought he was saying that 7.5ns CAS3 was faster than 8ns CAS2. That is what I meant to say was wrong!!!!! And I know crucial is a good company, I am still waiting for there PC2100 to be releases so I can buy some.

Someday I will stop asking all the questions!