[SOLVED] Cl16 + Cl18 Ram issue

rsantos19

Prominent
Apr 21, 2020
I have a 2x8gb kit of corsair vengeance rgb pro 3600mhz cl18 along with a 2x8gb kit of corsair vengeance rgb pro 3600mhz cl16. The motherboard I have is an msi b550 mortar wifi and I have a ryzen 7 3700x if that helps. I am currently running the two kits at the timings of the cl18 kit and it is fine for the most part but every now and then my pc will blue screen and or exit applications by itself, What can I do to fix this issue?

Solution
I have a 2x8gb kit of corsair vengeance rgb pro 3600mhz cl18 along with a 2x8gb kit of corsair vengeance rgb pro 3600mhz cl16. The motherboard I have is an msi b550 mortar wifi and I have a ryzen 7 3700x if that helps. I am currently running the two kits at the timings of the cl18 kit and it is fine for the most part but every now and then my pc will blue screen and or exit applications by itself, What can I do to fix this issue?

Put in just the cl18 kit. Use CPU-Z to look at the JDEC tables for the various timings. Get a pic or a screen shot. Do the same with just the cl16 kit. Look to see if their timings are close somewhere for lower speed. Relax your timings, probably on both to something at or super close to where these...

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador

Put in just the cl18 kit. Use CPU-Z to look at the JDEC tables for the various timings. Get a pic or a screen shot. Do the same with just the cl16 kit. Look to see if their timings are close somewhere for lower speed. Relax your timings, probably on both to something at or super close to where these intersect.

Solution

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Another aspect to consider here, and shouldn't be assumed on my part.

With the original kit that your PC was running, and before any changes to the RAM were made....you should have gone in and defaulted values for any "XMP" or CPU OC. Your mention of manually adjusting timings made me assume you did this first, but it doesn't go without saying, lol.

rsantos19

Prominent
Apr 21, 2020
Put in just the cl18 kit. Use CPU-Z to look at the JDEC tables for the various timings. Get a pic or a screen shot. Do the same with just the cl16 kit. Look to see if their timings are close somewhere for lower speed. Relax your timings, probably on both to something at or super close to where these intersect.
Thanks ill try this, but whats stopping me from running that cl16 kit at the same values of the cl18 kit? if the cl18 kit isnt as good

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Thanks ill try this, but whats stopping me from running that cl16 kit at the same values of the cl18 kit? if the cl18 kit isnt as good

This is basically what I am talking about. Even at that though, you may see some slightly different values in the tables for the same speed. It's good to try and use what the memory already has a 'rating' for on that table.

Ryzen in itself is rather picky about using different RAM, even of the same exact type but 2 kits and such. You might find that just putting them in on auto and letting the computer pick (probably around 2400mhz) that you do or do not find stability there either.

rsantos19

Prominent
Apr 21, 2020
This is basically what I am talking about. Even at that though, you may see some slightly different values in the tables for the same speed. It's good to try and use what the memory already has a 'rating' for on that table.

Ryzen in itself is rather picky about using different RAM, even of the same exact type but 2 kits and such. You might find that just putting them in on auto and letting the computer pick (probably around 2400mhz) that you do or do not find stability there either.
ahh i see, I guess i should just take not of each kit then? All i want is reasonably speed thats close to what i have now and for my pc to run stable,

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
ahh i see, I guess i should just take not of each kit then? All i want is reasonably speed thats close to what i have now and for my pc to run stable,

Even if it was a matched set, moving from 2X to 4X RAM is likely to slow down speed for (many) motherboards. I can't really recommend trying to use different RAM unless you don't have an option and need the additional capacity for your work/play.

Just the same, it's always good to keep a couple of sticks of matching (and good quality) RAM around for future projects, troubleshooting, such as that. IMO DDR4 is inexpensive enough for now that selling used is hardly worth the hassle.

Reactions: rsantos19

rsantos19

Prominent
Apr 21, 2020
Are you running programs, games, etc. where you regularly use over 16GBs of RAM? If not then adding memory won't increase performance at all.
i previously had 16gb already, the extra 16gb was a gift and I play tarkov which eats lots of memory, even at that I would want to use the all 32gb

Tarlov at 4k with all graphics options maxxed won't even come close to 16GBs used, even with basic OS and other stuff running in the backgroupd.

I'm just saying that, unless you are actively using over 16GBs, your system will be faster and more stable with just the 16GBs of CL16 RAM installed.

If you still want to try and get the 4 non-matching sticks going try upping the voltage a bit. Sometimes that is enough to make non-matching sticks play nice together.

I only added the cl16 kit when I got the motherboard, Ive had it for about 4 days now. I have the cl16 kit in slots 2 and 4 if that clears anything up
This is what I would do, if it helps at least use both of your kits
  • Verify what the motherboard manual says how to populate the RAM slots. If they were populated incorrectly, reseat the sticks where they should go and see if that helps.
  • Verify both kits by themselves work or appear stable. This may take some time, maybe a week for each.
  • Try either the next lower speed in the XMP profile or manually adjust the speed.
You won't lose much performance if you have to go down to say DDR4-3200 for both, but don't go lower than that.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
There is probably going to be different secondary and tertiary timings when running 4 sticks. So checking 2 sticks at a time for their timings could be futile. Just memorize the slower sticks primary timings and make sure those are what the mobo sets in BIOS.
Make sure Fastboot is OFF in BIOS. No memory training happens if it is ON.

To test the RAM, get Testmem + config file from here: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-memory-tweaking-overclocking-guide/9.html Bottom of page
That test should take 5-8 mins, depending on if you test 16 or 32 gigs.
If that passes, get HCI Memtest and run that to 100-400%. On most of your RAM. https://www.hcidesign.com/memtest/ This means you gotta run several instances of the program, each at 2500 megs of RAM. This will take a while but certainly not a week. Maybe a couple hours to 100%. I'm personally satisfied at 100%.

If you get any errors at all, RAM is unstable. Back to the drawing table. Play with voltage, timings etc.

Increasing voltage is a good tip. Play with Dram and SOC voltage. Increase both slightly. Different RAM IC are sensitive to different voltages. Some don't like much over 1.35, some can run 1.50v Dram voltage. Thaiphoon Burner can show you what RAM ICs you have.
I can't remember what SOC voltage you shouldn't go over on 3000-series. Somewhere around 1.1 - 1.2volts. Check Overclocking subreddit, for example. https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/ Search or make a new thread and ask.

Last edited:

rsantos19

Prominent
Apr 21, 2020
There is probably going to be different secondary and tertiary timings when running 4 sticks. So checking 2 sticks at a time for their timings could be futile. Just memorize the slower sticks primary timings and make sure those are what the mobo sets in BIOS.
Make sure Fastboot is OFF in BIOS. No memory training happens if it is ON.

To test the RAM, get Testmem + config file from here: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-memory-tweaking-overclocking-guide/9.html Bottom of page
That test should take 5-8 mins, depending on if you test 16 or 32 gigs.
If that passes, get HCI Memtest and run that to 100-400%. On most of your RAM. https://www.hcidesign.com/memtest/ This means you gotta run several instances of the program, each at 2500 megs of RAM. This will take a while but certainly not a week. Maybe a couple hours to 100%. I'm personally satisfied at 100%.

If you get any errors at all, RAM is unstable. Back to the drawing table. Play with voltage, timings etc.

Increasing voltage is a good tip. Play with Dram and SOC voltage. Increase both slightly. Different RAM IC are sensitive to different voltages. Some don't like much over 1.35, some can run 1.50v Dram voltage. Thaiphoon Burner can show you what RAM ICs you have.
I can't remember what SOC voltage you shouldn't go over on 3000-series. Somewhere around 1.1 - 1.2volts. Check Overclocking subreddit, for example. https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/ Search or make a new thread and ask.
Ill be sure to run memtest and turn off fastboot, I listened carefully and did what all the replies told me to do and after all that and changing the voltage and I was able to play for a couple hours without any problems whatsoever. Thank you and everyone who replied and helped me, I never would have that random people on the internet would be so helpful and patient