[SOLVED] CL16 vs CL14

aressamuel1

Prominent
Dec 31, 2018
I am looking into buying G.Skill Trident Z memory for a new build and there is both CL16 and CL14 models of the same kit.
So is there any real noticable difference in terms of gaming performance considering the CL14 kit costs 140€ more

Solution
It depends on the application. But from what I have seen in games memory speed matters much more than timings. For the majority of games I doubt there would be any difference between a CL14 and CL16 kit assuming they are running the same speeds.

140 euros more for CL14 is absolutely ridiculous, 30 to 40 more might be palatable but 140? No way, absolutely not worth it in my opinion. There must be something up with the memory market in your area, I don't think that much of a price hike for a CL14 kit is normal.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
It depends on the application. But from what I have seen in games memory speed matters much more than timings. For the majority of games I doubt there would be any difference between a CL14 and CL16 kit assuming they are running the same speeds.

140 euros more for CL14 is absolutely ridiculous, 30 to 40 more might be palatable but 140? No way, absolutely not worth it in my opinion. There must be something up with the memory market in your area, I don't think that much of a price hike for a CL14 kit is normal.

Solution

aressamuel1

Prominent
Dec 31, 2018

well that is what its like to shop for pc parts in Finland