[SOLVED] Claiming for damage from blown Corsair PSU

Aug 15, 2020
Hi all,
Completed my first PC build back in May, all working fine, been using it regularly. Switched it in today, tripped some fuses so reset those, connected up PSU again, switched on and bang! Wisp of smoke, electrical smell too. So the Corsair TX650M is gone I think, only 3 months into its lifespan. I'd worry I've built the PC wrong if it wasn't working fine before this.

I've already arranged a return with the seller here in the UK but what grounds do I have to claim for potential damage to mobo etc? Won't know for sure if anything is damaged until I get the replacement but good to know where I stand now.

Thanks in advance!

kanewolf

Titan
Hi all,
Completed my first PC build back in May, all working fine, been using it regularly. Switched it in today, tripped some fuses so reset those, connected up PSU again, switched on and bang! Wisp of smoke, electrical smell too. So the Corsair TX650M is gone I think, only 3 months into its lifespan. I'd worry I've built the PC wrong if it wasn't working fine before this.

I've already arranged a return with the seller here in the UK but what grounds do I have to claim for potential damage to mobo etc? Won't know for sure if anything is damaged until I get the replacement but good to know where I stand now.

Thanks in advance!
Probably none. You would have to read the fine print on the Corsair warranty. My guess is they say that they take NO responsibility for any damage.
Is it worth going to court, which is probably what you would have to do.

Aug 15, 2020
Probably none. You would have to read the fine print on the Corsair warranty. My guess is they say that they take NO responsibility for any damage.
Is it worth going to court, which is probably what you would have to do.
Yeah I won't be bothering with court. Seems really unfair though, a faulty PSU blows up, potentially taking other parts with it and the manufacturers don't have to cover those?

kanewolf

Titan
Yeah I won't be bothering with court. Seems really unfair though, a faulty PSU blows up, potentially taking other parts with it and the manufacturers don't have to cover those?
You have to prove that the power supply did it is the problem. For hundreds of $$$ of damage it will cost more to prove they are responsible.
They can claim it is your poor household wiring that caused it. Can you disprove that?

Aug 15, 2020
You have to prove that the power supply did it is the problem. For hundreds of $$$ of damage it will cost more to prove they are responsible.
They can claim it is your poor household wiring that caused it. Can you disprove that?
True enough. Ugh. Now I remember why I switched to consoles!

I've had this PC working for 3 months, seems unlikely that my wiring suddenly got bad enough to cause a blown PSU but I take your point. I've fired off an email to Corsair anyway, will see what they say! Thx for the reply.

Aug 15, 2020
I would be surprised if your other parts were all broken anyway. Do the RMA on the PSU and cross that bridge when you come to it. Positive thoughts headed your way :)

It never hurts to ask. Contact Corsair directly and RMA the PSU and tell them what it damaged and ask for comp.

IIRC i have heard of corsair paying to replace parts damaged by failed AIO liquid coolers.

I would assume Corsairs warranty would not cover your other components, but its worth a shot.

Reactions: jonnyguru

USAFRet

Titan
I would be surprised if your other parts were all broken anyway. Do the RMA on the PSU and cross that bridge when you come to it. Positive thoughts headed your way :)
I've personally had a PSU take out other things as it died. Specifically, the motherboard.

I've also heard of Corsair covering other parts that were killed due to a PSU.

However...
"Switched it in today, tripped some fuses so reset those "
That leads to a deeper problem.

Reactions: jonnyguru
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

If you arrange the return with the seller, you have no recourse.

If you arrange the return with Corsair, you can ask for a damage claim. But you'll need to send in the parts that you suspect are damaged.

Why do you think anything is damaged? Did you try another PSU and the PC still doesn't work?

What's the first eight digits of the PSU's serial number (this is the lot code)?

Aug 15, 2020
If you arrange the return with the seller, you have no recourse.

If you arrange the return with Corsair, you can ask for a damage claim. But you'll need to send in the parts that you suspect are damaged.

Why do you think anything is damaged? Did you try another PSU and the PC still doesn't work?

What's the first eight digits of the PSU's serial number (this is the lot code)?
Oh, I didn't know this. I assumed I need to go through the seller (an electronic chain here in the UK). Is it best to go direct to Corsair?

I don't know for sure anything is damaged, I don't have a spare PSU to check that with. But I've had PSUs go before and take at least the mobo with them, though that was at least 10yrs ago. Maybe they're better made now and don't do that?

Lot code is 20014852

Solution
Aug 15, 2020
Ok. Given that lot code, I'm willing to be that the problem is the same problem Corsair has had with the SF Series: https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=197081

If that's the case, there's nothing wrong with any of your hardware. A containment on the primary side's diode insulator pads causes the pad to tear and the diode to short against the heatsink.
That's really interesting, thanks. Am not sure now whether to return via seller or direct to Corsair - I opened a ticket with corsair about claiming for damages so might see how they respond to that.

That's really interesting, thanks. Am not sure now whether to return via seller or direct to Corsair - I opened a ticket with corsair about claiming for damages so might see how they respond to that.

I'm pretty confident that the problem is the same as the SF. During those dates, anything built by Great Wall could have had the contaminated insulator pads. And given the tripped fuses and bang, it sounds like the same problem. Which means there's no damage to any of your hardware.