Clarification on Kingston HyperX Fury Blu RAM Frequency displayed

rembranded

Honorable
Jan 1, 2016
Hi, I'm not too familiar with RAM and their workings, so forgive me if I sound illiterate in parts.

I have 8 GB (2 * 4GB) Kingston HyperX Fury Blu RAM that is clocked at 16000MHz (DDR3). One of my RAM sticks has failed and I've returned it for warranty replacement, and out of curiosity (I was continuously running out of RAM) I decided to check my RAM specifications on Speccy. It turns out that what I believed was running at a frequency of 1600 MHz is actually running at 798.1 MHz.

I'm not familiar with DDR and how it works, but I vaguely understand that this is correct? Can someone please clarify. What worries me more is that my RAM is supposed to run with a CAS latency of 9-9-9-27, but is, in fact, running at a CAS latency of 11-11-11-28. Here's a screenshot of the Specifications screen
nKHMLwN

http://imgur.com/nKHMLwN

Here are my other specifications to help in rectifying this issue:
Motherboard: ASRock Extreme3
CPU: Intel Xeon 1230v3 @ 3.30 GHz (Haswell Architecture)

Solution
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

The reading of 798.1 MHz is correct, as most utilities will report the true clock speed of RAM rather than the effective clock. That's where the first D in DDR comes from, double. So your RAM is correctly running at 798.1 MHz * 2 = 1596.2 or ~1600 MT/s (the T is for transfers), since the memory transfers two chunks of data per clock cycle. Not the most accurate explanation, but you get the idea :)

Regarding the timings, your motherboard turned off XMP because it saw a new stick of RAM. You'll notice at the bottom of your screenshot there's an entry for XMP-1600, which has the correct timings but a higher voltage. To get the proper timings/voltage, go into your motherboard's UEFI interface and turn XMP...

voltoid27

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

The reading of 798.1 MHz is correct, as most utilities will report the true clock speed of RAM rather than the effective clock. That's where the first D in DDR comes from, double. So your RAM is correctly running at 798.1 MHz * 2 = 1596.2 or ~1600 MT/s (the T is for transfers), since the memory transfers two chunks of data per clock cycle. Not the most accurate explanation, but you get the idea :)

Regarding the timings, your motherboard turned off XMP because it saw a new stick of RAM. You'll notice at the bottom of your screenshot there's an entry for XMP-1600, which has the correct timings but a higher voltage. To get the proper timings/voltage, go into your motherboard's UEFI interface and turn XMP back on to get those 9-9-9-27 timings you paid for.

Solution

rembranded

Honorable
Jan 1, 2016
H voltoid27. Thanks a bunch for your help. Sorry I couldn't get back earlier. Email notifications weren't working for my questions. I've changed the DRAM profile from 'Auto' to 'XMP 1.3'. I've also manually set the timings to 9-9-9-27. Hopefully that's it. I have a few follow-up questions though.

I had one more stick of 4 GB RAM, which had become damaged for some reason and I've now given that for part replacement. If I insert that stick of RAM (it is also an exact replica of this RAM i.e. Kingston DDR3 1600MHz HyperX Blu) should I go and change anything in the UEFI again? I also have plans of buying 2 more sticks of the same RAM to fill my 4 slots FWIW. Finally, I didn't see any options to manually change any voltage settings. I hope the mobo will take care of it automatically.

voltoid27

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014
I'd guess that since removing a stick reset your memory settings, that adding (a) stick(s) would reset the timings too. I always hop into the BIOS/UEFI every time I change my RAM configuration to make sure everything is set up correctly, since the only thing you'd lose is a minute or two of your time. About the voltage, if your RAM's set to XMP in UEFI, it'll take care of setting it to 1.65V. I checked the manual for your mobo, and there's an option in there called DRAM Voltage; should be somewhere in the OC Tweaker settings. If for some reason setting XMP doesn't work, you can use that manual option as a backup.