clarification on linux fatal errors and kernel panic. possible Mobo or CPU dead

Dustin_4

Reputable
Sep 26, 2015
Ive been having tons of issues with my MOBO and or CPU described Here But on the short term my problem is specific and simple.

I finally got the bios to update properly which leads me to believe my mobo is fine. but maybe my processor is toast which i know is super rare especially when i dont overclock it. so i put a linux live usb in and this is what i get when it crashes . lots of kernal panic and RIP and fatal messages. Im not the best at linux i mess around with it from time to time but not in any was fluent.

any thoughts would be great or is someone can stranslate the linux errors for me.

mobo msi z170A gaming m7
i7 6700
8 gigs ddr4 (unsure of specs)
PSU 700w lepa (already confiremd working)
OS really doesnt matter for this part of the error cause i dont even ahve a harddrive installed half the time. but unbunu velvatine or something.. and win10 pro 64 bit.

Solution

Which USB ports are you using when you boot? Some of the USB ports on your motherboard are controlled by the Intel Z170 chipset and some are controlled by an add-on ASMedia controller chip. You may need to boot the USB stick from a port controlled by the Intel chipset.

Dustin_4

Reputable
Sep 26, 2015
yes i am using the linux drive correctly. i have had multiple linux installations in the past from dual boot to live usb. i run Kali dual boot on my laptop. im sure the linux drive is correct.

Which USB ports are you using when you boot? Some of the USB ports on your motherboard are controlled by the Intel Z170 chipset and some are controlled by an add-on ASMedia controller chip. You may need to boot the USB stick from a port controlled by the Intel chipset.

Solution