[SOLVED] Clarification with m.2 ssds

momowicket

Honorable
Sep 19, 2018
Hi all,
I currently have an ASUS B-450m-k motherboard - https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/PRIME/PRIME-B450M-K/
The m.2 slot is jammed right underneath the graphics card. My interpretation of the website is that it does NOT have NVME compatibility.

If this is the case and I buy a m.2 SSD, considering the location under the GPU, should I buy a heatsink to go with the m.2 SSD?
Or is this something that I do not need?

Solution
Here is an interesting article on m.2 nvme ssds:

As the article indicates, having an M key slot is a primary requirement for nvme. On page 1-2 of your manual, item 6 indicates that you do indeed have an M key slot. So although the older webstire for you motherboard may be vague about nvme, the M key slot is really all that matters.

As for cooling, it can't hurt. Since there isn't a lot of room above the m.2 slot, you'll need an ssd that comes equipped with a thin thermal pad type of cooler. Something like a Samsung 980 which has a heat spreader label.

As the article indicates, having an M key slot is a primary requirement for nvme. On page 1-2 of your manual, item 6 indicates that you do indeed have an M key slot. So although the older webstire for you motherboard may be vague about nvme, the M key slot is really all that matters.

As for cooling, it can't hurt. Since there isn't a lot of room above the m.2 slot, you'll need an ssd that comes equipped with a thin thermal pad type of cooler. Something like a Samsung 980 which has a heat spreader label.

Solution

momowicket

Honorable
Sep 19, 2018

ohhhh ok thank you, that clarifies things up.
Do you have any other recommendations for ssds with heat spreader labels?

This is hard to comment on without seeing the GPU installed. There are some great drives like the Corsair MP 600 Pro XT but that heatsink's something like 19mm high so it probably wouldn't fit. There's also the Seagate Firecuda 530 where the heatsink is lower so that might work. If there were a way to figure out how much clearance you'll have under your GPU, that would guide you.

momowicket

Honorable
Sep 19, 2018
This is hard to comment on without seeing the GPU installed. There are some great drives like the Corsair MP 600 Pro XT but that heatsink's something like 19mm high so it probably wouldn't fit. There's also the Seagate Firecuda 530 where the heatsink is lower so that might work. If there were a way to figure out how much clearance you'll have under your GPU, that would guide you.
yeah there is not much space, might just have to go with something like the Samsung ones and rely on it not getting too hot.

Hi all,
I currently have an ASUS B-450m-k motherboard - https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/PRIME/PRIME-B450M-K/
The m.2 slot is jammed right underneath the graphics card. My interpretation of the website is that it does NOT have NVME compatibility.

If this is the case and I buy a m.2 SSD, considering the location under the GPU, should I buy a heatsink to go with the m.2 SSD?
Or is this something that I do not need?
Depends on what cpu you have.
Athlon the slot is sata only.
Ryzen the slot is sata or nvme.

Heatsink?......doubtful but you really won't know until you run your stuff and monitor the temps.