G

My friend saw a really cheap pc for sale a Athlon 600 i believe
and...

I was curious on performance of the Normal athlons to a Tbird or Duron

How much less performance is it
a lot or a little
?

P.S Im back baby!

-- They have found a way to harness the power of a thunderstorm and expell it with great force!--

ledzepp98

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i would say (rough estimate) that the duron performs on par with the classic athlon at the same mhz and the t-bird is roughly 10% faster. if it's really cheap, go for it but keep in mind that it will not be upgradeable. is he the type that will use the computer for a few years and be happy?

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have a Classic AMD 750MHz and it's running fine. I guess you can get the 600MHz processor to run anything, only the graphic card that could limit the gaming performance.

-------------
This site is cool.

jollygrinch

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i've got a classic 550 and i'm happy as a clam. i'll probably succumb to the peer pressure and upgrade soon but i play games (hl, q3a, and the like, havent tried that truck thing tom uses yet) and use bryce 4 and photoshop and have no speed problems. just for future upgrades i think a duron or tbird would be better but i don't think your friend would be disapointed with the 600 classic.

--It's alive! It's alive!!!....What!? How hot did it get?...damn

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
I have a Athlon A 650. it runs faster than my friends durion 700. well, it runs Quake 3 faster. We have the same Graphics Card (GeForce 1 DDR).

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>

G

Well for games the graphic card is usually the bottleneck

"Sticks and Stones may break my bones, BUT OH CRAP HE"S GOT A GUN!!!!"

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
I dont think the GeForce should bottleneck at 1024x768x32. especially on a 650.

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>