[SOLVED] Clean All not working?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

trippzez

Prominent
May 17, 2021
Hello i recently updated my bios and attempted to clean install windows but it seems i can’t get my ssd to wipe. The errors i’m getting while doing diskpart in cmd are, Virtual disk service error : clean is not allowed on the disk containing the current boot, Access is denied, and it also gave me this error code 0x80300024.

Any help on other ways to wipe my ssd would be greatly appreciated.

Specs:

B450M DS3H-CF (AM4)
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650
Team Group T253X2001T SATA SSD 953GB
16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1064MHz
SeaSonic S12III 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX
Windows 10

Solution
just let the Windows 10 installer delete all partitions and format the drive during the install.

trippzez

Prominent
May 17, 2021
16MB is not appropriate size for EFI partition. In script there is 350 (not 16).
yes i realized that after i sent the reply, but it still says the same exact thing after redoing it and putting size=350. it seems as if diskpart isn’t doing anything to my ssd, after running “clean” it does appear to say 956gb free space but as soon as i do another command or exit and reopen cmd it goes back to 0 free space

trippzez

Prominent
May 17, 2021
Wait - am I understanding this right?
You perform diskpart clean,
restart your pc and
all the partitions are back (as if disk was not cleaned)?

Then something is wrong with the disk. Could be SSD has exhausted all write cycles and locked itself.
yes, it’s as if diskpart isn’t doing anything to my ssd. when i run “clean” it goes from 0 free space to 959gb free space but then as soon as i run a different command or exit cmd and reopen it goes right back to 0 free space.

Not sure you are doing the setup the best way, it's really convoluted and I have never had to go through any special steps to install Windows unless the motherboard drivers did not see the disk.

Simplify this whole thing.

Make the USB setup media from Microsoft site.
If you have more than one disk in the computer you are setting up remove all but the boot drive you will be using.
Boot off the USB media, go to the custom setup. Delete every partition you see there, if some won't let you delete it, delete all you can then check those again. It should let you get to a single blank volume. Then select that for the Windows setup, and just click on next to run the setup.
Once it's done, and reboots, remove the USB disk and finish the setup following the promputs.

trippzez

Prominent
May 17, 2021
Not sure you are doing the setup the best way, it's really convoluted and I have never had to go through any special steps to install Windows unless the motherboard drivers did not see the disk.

Simplify this whole thing.

Make the USB setup media from Microsoft site.
If you have more than one disk in the computer you are setting up remove all but the boot drive you will be using.
Boot off the USB media, go to the custom setup. Delete every partition you see there, if some won't let you delete it, delete all you can then check those again. It should let you get to a single blank volume. Then select that for the Windows setup, and just click on next to run the setup.
Once it's done, and reboots, remove the USB disk and finish the setup following the promputs.
i don’t understand what you guys don’t get, i’ve said it only 15 times in this thread… i cannot delete any partitions nor can i wipe my ssd, it’s simply not letting me, it’s as if my ssd is rejecting being wiped.

trippzez

Prominent
May 17, 2021
What happens, if you try to install windows into existing 953GB partition (drive 0 partition 4) ?
if i install it without cleaning/wiping the drive then it works, but then i still have the same bsod and freezing issues i’ve had for months. But as soon as i clean/wipe the drive it won’t allow me to continue with the installation