[SOLVED] Clean All not working?

trippzez

Prominent
May 17, 2021
Hello i recently updated my bios and attempted to clean install windows but it seems i can’t get my ssd to wipe. The errors i’m getting while doing diskpart in cmd are, Virtual disk service error : clean is not allowed on the disk containing the current boot, Access is denied, and it also gave me this error code 0x80300024.

Any help on other ways to wipe my ssd would be greatly appreciated.

Specs:

B450M DS3H-CF (AM4)
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650
Team Group T253X2001T SATA SSD 953GB
16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1064MHz
SeaSonic S12III 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX
Windows 10

Solution
just let the Windows 10 installer delete all partitions and format the drive during the install.
just let the Windows 10 installer delete all partitions and format the drive during the install.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Right.
You cannot delete everything from the drive where Windows is currently running.

That is like asking you to cut your own head off. You may get a small start, but you'll fail quite quickly.

For a clean OS install, you boot from a USB.
During the process, you'll be given the option to delete all existing partitions.
Then proceed on.

Section II, Step 6 & 7 speak to deleting all existing partitions.

trippzez

Prominent
May 17, 2021
i already tried this… if i delete the other partitions it won’t let me continue with the fresh install of windows

trippzez

Prominent
May 17, 2021
Right.
You cannot delete everything from the drive where Windows is currently running.

That is like asking you to cut your own head off. You may get a small start, but you'll fail quite quickly.

For a clean OS install, you boot from a USB.
During the process, you'll be given the option to delete all existing partitions.
Then proceed on.

Section II, Step 6 & 7 speak to deleting all existing partitions.
yeah it literlly doesn’t let me delete any partitions.

Drive 0 Partition 1: 529mb 98mb Recovery

Drive 0 Partition 2: 99mb 68mb system

Drive 0 Partition 3: 16mb 16mb MSR Reserved

Drive 0 Partition 4: 953gb 471gb Primary

trippzez

Prominent
May 17, 2021
Step by step, how are you doing this?
As detailed as you can, screencaps or pics help.
1. Updating the bios via qflash (that .62b file)

2. go to bios again after update, and load optimized defaults, disable CSM(in boot section in the bios, then save and exit, and shut down windows

3. Unplug the flashdrive, and proceed rufus the windows 10 on that pc (GPT, UEFI non CSM)

4. Copy the nvidia driver and the amd chipset driver you downloaded on that pc

5. Plug it back again in the top rear motherboard usb slot

6. go into bios again, and set the boot option 1 into UEFI: (your flashdisk brand), save and exit

7. proceed install windows, when asked the option to use the key, click on i dont have, then when asked to choose between express or custom, choose custom

8.press shift +F10 and you'll enter CMD, type diskpart and enter, then type list disk and enter.

9. Type Sel Disk # (#=the number of ssd in the list disk) and enter, then type clean all, wait for a few minutes (might grab a coffee), and after it is done, type convert gpt, and enter, then close the cmd and choose your SSD to install (the biggest size), and click on next.

10. Wait for everything to be done and if windows installed successfully and the first time install is done, do not connect to internet yet, install amd chipset driver, and reboot, go to powerplan and choose amd ryzen powerplan, and then you're free to connect to internet.

11. install nvidia driver, then check windows update, and install them.

12. test the thing with your daily doings

Both nvidia driver and chipset driver must be copied to the flashdrive after rufus is done burning the windows into your flashdrive, so you'll install the driver faster.

These were the steps i was given by somebody in this forum.

trippzez

Prominent
May 17, 2021
this isn't the first time hearing complaints about RUFUS not working correctly for creating an installer & installing Windows 10.
just use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool linked in the tutorial.
on step 7 of the link provided it’s not letting me press next.
Drive 0 Unallocated Space 953gb 953gb

This partition is too small. Make the size of the partition at least 10242mb or select another partition.
Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This disk may fail soon. If other hand disks are available, install windows to another location

it appears that you are trying to create the installer on a hard drive?

you are supposed to be using a >8GB USB flash drive to create the installer on
or burning it to a DVD.
perhaps this is the issue.
ZzZ60hn.png

trippzez

Prominent
May 17, 2021
it appears that you are trying to create the installer on a hard drive?

you are supposed to be using a >8GB USB flash drive to create the installer on
or burning it to a DVD.
perhaps this is the issue.
ZzZ60hn.png
perhaps i already installed the windows media to a flashdrive and plugged it into my main pc, then when going to the custom installation tab it won’t let me delete any partitions or continue with the installation of windows

trippzez

Prominent
May 17, 2021
i believe you are at the wrong section of the tutorial.

the USB drive needs ~10GB of space for the installer package.
the disk to be used for Windows needs ~100GB of space.

if you are getting an error that states you need 10242MB then you are still at the Media Creation point.
16gb usb flash drive
1tb ssd

is that enough?

If windows install cant create partitions for some reason, then create them manually.

Code:
select disk 0
clean
convert gpt
create partition efi size=350
format quick fs=fat32 label="System"
assign letter="S"
create partition msr size=16
create partition primary 
shrink minimum=500
format quick fs=ntfs label="Windows"
assign letter="W"
create partition primary
format quick fs=ntfs label="Recovery"
assign letter="R"
set id="de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac"
gpt attributes=0x8000000000000001
list volume
exit
Used script from here. Just removed comment lines.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...desktop/windows-deployment-sample-scripts-sxs

popatim

Titan
perhaps i already installed the windows media to a flashdrive and plugged it into my main pc, then when going to the custom installation tab it won’t let me delete any partitions or continue with the installation of windows

You cannot delete partitions that aren't there. You already said the drive is unallocated...
[QUOTE="trippzez]
[/quote]

Click once on the drive 0 so it turns blue, then click next
I have not seen that being required in W10 before. It used to be like that in older Windows installs.

Also, you should not have any other harddrive or SSD plugged in when you install W10. Just the flash drive and the SSD you're installing it to.

trippzez

Prominent
May 17, 2021
If windows install cant create partitions for some reason, then create them manually.

Code:
select disk 0
clean
convert gpt
create partition efi size=350
format quick fs=fat32 label="System"
assign letter="S"
create partition msr size=16
create partition primary
shrink minimum=500
format quick fs=ntfs label="Windows"
assign letter="W"
create partition primary
format quick fs=ntfs label="Recovery"
assign letter="R"
set id="de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac"
gpt attributes=0x8000000000000001
list volume
exit
Used script from here. Just removed comment lines.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...desktop/windows-deployment-sample-scripts-sxs
yeah well this happened

View: https://imgur.com/a/C2JhEhC

trippzez

Prominent
May 17, 2021
You cannot delete partitions that aren't there. You already said the drive is unallocated...
[QUOTE="trippzez]

Click once on the drive 0 so it turns blue, then click next
I have not seen that being required in W10 before. It used to be like that in older Windows installs.

Also, you should not have any other harddrive or SSD plugged in when you install W10. Just the flash drive and the SSD you're installing it to.
[/QUOTE]
well there are 4 partitions, if i delete them in diskpart then go back to the windows setup screen then refresh it shows Drive 0 Unallocated Space, but doesn’t let me continue with the install. And yes i only have my ssd and usb attached during this process.