Question Clean install asking for drivers

Jul 5, 2022
Clean install says no disk. Asks for drivers. Shouldn't they be on the system? I am trying to install windows 10 on a blank 1 tb sata drive. I formated the drive using an old Vista windows computer. When I go to install when it gets to asking install location and my only options are refresh or load drivers. I obviously did something wrong. Where can I locate the drivers I need or do need to start all over?

Last edited:
Clean install says no disk. Asks for drivers. Shouldn't they be on the system?
Microsoft tries to decrease the size of the installer image by including only what it thinks are the most in-demand drivers. This is supposed to allow users to be able to download the installer in either ISO format or using the media creation tool in less time and using less bandwidth. Generally after installation is complete if you have an Intel based system you may need the Intel Chipset driver file and the Serial IO driver file. Refer to your motherboard manufacturer's website if you need additional drivers.

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Clean install says no disk. Asks for drivers. Shouldn't they be on the system? I am trying to install windows 10 on a blank 1 tb sata drive. I formated the drive using an old Vista windows computer. When I go to install when it gets to asking install location and my only options are refresh or load drivers. I obviously did something wrong. Where can I locate the drivers I need or do need to start all over?
Had this problem with my IT company. Our workaround for those computers was to install Windows 10 on the computer using the Media Creation Tool .exe rather than booting from a USB stick. Another option was to place the drivers for your drive into the Windows 10 USB stick. I was looking into that a little but never investigated that much.

Sometimes it worked when we just switched to a different USB port. Though, I think this solution only worked on a completely different brand computer… Most likely a different problem between the two computers that we had.