Clean install from USB, 0x80fe0000 error

raymanh

Distinguished
May 30, 2016
Laptop is a Dell L502X.

Was running fine on win7, then updated to win10 and it worked fine for a moment. After an update it then got the blue screen of death and I had to install it fresh. This worked fine, until I stupidly let it update got the blue screen again. So now i'm trying to reinstall.

During the installation period, after 'install' and "install updates" has been completed, the installation cancels and up pops "windows could not set the offline locale information 0x80fe0000".

I've tried this multiple times with the similar results; sometimes it completes but then will restart and just give me a screen of pink and green-ish vertical lines. I've tried installing win10 pro and home, same results. Also tried the most current win10 ISO and one from april. Still nothing.

A quick google points to potential HDD failure, but I know no way of checking.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Solution
evbda.sys is part of Broadcom NetXtreme II 10 GigE and developed by Broadcom Corporation according to the evbda.sys version information. evbda.sys's description is "Broadcom NetXtreme II 10 GigE VBD"
Ethernet NIC

How long ago did you upgrade from win 7? I see your PC has no win 10 drivers which will make it troublesome, its possible win 10 doesn't support your PC as I know Dell haven't tested it on Win 10 - http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/xps-l502x/drivers/advanced?os=w764

I would go back to 7 if you can.

7b is Inaccessible Boot device... this is odd, as the two answers I normally have to fix that are the chkdsk you already tried and a fresh install, which you are trying... none of the others...

Colif

Win 11 Master
boot from installer, on 2nd screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type chkdsk c: /f and press enter
this will scan hdd and fix any bad sectors

once done try the install

are you using the same USB each time? If so, try another one.

you should be able to buy a new cmos battery

raymanh

Distinguished
May 30, 2016

Thanks. Disk checker reported back with no action being required and no bad sectors.

Tried to install it again, and it seemingly finished, but once restarting from the HDD it came up with "Your PC/Device needs to be repaired"

file windows\system32\drivers\evbda.sys

I will try another USB and see if that works
code 0xc000007b

Colif

Win 11 Master
evbda.sys is part of Broadcom NetXtreme II 10 GigE and developed by Broadcom Corporation according to the evbda.sys version information. evbda.sys's description is "Broadcom NetXtreme II 10 GigE VBD"
Ethernet NIC

How long ago did you upgrade from win 7? I see your PC has no win 10 drivers which will make it troublesome, its possible win 10 doesn't support your PC as I know Dell haven't tested it on Win 10 - http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/xps-l502x/drivers/advanced?os=w764

I would go back to 7 if you can.

7b is Inaccessible Boot device... this is odd, as the two answers I normally have to fix that are the chkdsk you already tried and a fresh install, which you are trying... none of the others would help in this situation: http://www.toppctech.com/inaccessible-boot-device-error-fixed/

Solution