Clean Install from XP Pro to 7 Pro with OEM COA?

Matt715

Commendable
Oct 7, 2016
We're upgrading to new computers at work and I'd like to use one of the old machines in my work area. It originally came with Windows 7 Pro and has a COA reflecting this on the side of the machine. Due to one of the programs we were using years ago, it was downgraded when new to XP Pro.

If I do a clean install of 7 Pro on this, can I use the COA on the side of the computer to activate it (presumably by phone)? I'm sure that my work will not pay for a new key and I don't want to spend anything on this since the computer isn't mine.

Solution
Unless the OEM keys were sold back when the downgrade was done (not really MS approved but some vendors do it and sell the keys cheap on EBay, etc.) that key should still be valid and you would just need an Windows 7 Pro installation disk. Can't hurt to try.

I would select custom install and just delete all existing partitions, then install to the remaining single unpartitioned space. You will need to download all of the device drivers from the manufacturer web site and then do all of the Windows updates. Odds are that you can do an online activation, although phone activation is no big deal.

RealBeast

Titan
Unless the OEM keys were sold back when the downgrade was done (not really MS approved but some vendors do it and sell the keys cheap on EBay, etc.) that key should still be valid and you would just need an Windows 7 Pro installation disk. Can't hurt to try.

I would select custom install and just delete all existing partitions, then install to the remaining single unpartitioned space. You will need to download all of the device drivers from the manufacturer web site and then do all of the Windows updates. Odds are that you can do an online activation, although phone activation is no big deal.

Solution

Matt715

Commendable
Oct 7, 2016
I thought I would update this thread and say RealBeast hit it on the head and the COA on the case was never activated. It went though using the online activation without any issues. Thanks again!