[SOLVED] Clean Install Needing Fixed.

SunRoseAlice

Reputable
Aug 19, 2020
I followed directions I was given for a clean install of Windows 10 on a new drive in an existing system (both drives are PCle NME). The system boots to Windows just fine, but I must choose between Windows 10: Volume 7 and Windows10: Volume 5 to boot to. I was told I could simply delete the old install of Windows, but I'm wary to do so as the partitions in Disk Management areawry and the new System drive has non allocated space that should be allocated.

Disc 0 - Samsung 860 Evo 2.5"
Disc 1 - Intel 660p (Windows Boot Manager)
Disk 2: Samsung 970 Evo Plus

Disk 0 is for mass storage while Disk 1 is the original operating system drive. Disk 2 is the newly install drive that I want Windows to boot to exclusively. Disk 1 is to be wiped for storage.

The insert image feature won't allow me to post an image of Disk Management, so I have provided a link. (It posted anyway)
View: https://imgur.com/a/rbW5U9X

I did not want to remove the Intel drive (Drive 1) as doing so required disassembly of the PC case and removal of the GPU. However, I need assistance to correct the errors I now have. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Solution
Disk 0 is for mass storage while
Disk 1 is the original operating system drive. Disk 1 is to be wiped for storage.
Disk 2 is the newly install drive that I want Windows to boot to exclusively.
You'd have to create bootloader partition on Disk 2. Currently it's on Disk 1.
To do so, shrink C: by 500MB,
create efi system partition,
create bootloader files on it,
change boot sequence in bios to boot from Windows boot Manager on Disk 2.

Execute from elevated command prompt. Regular command prompt will give error on last step.

diskpart
list disk
select disk 2
list partition

Colif

Win 11 Master
the unallocated space is only 16mb, you aren't missing a great deal.

Did you want to keep win 7 on the PC? As since you left the hdd with win 7 in pc and installed onto the new drive, windows 10 naturally added itself to the boot partition and made it dual boot.

Disk 0 is for mass storage while
Disk 1 is the original operating system drive. Disk 1 is to be wiped for storage.
Disk 2 is the newly install drive that I want Windows to boot to exclusively.
To do so, shrink C: by 500MB,
create efi system partition,
create bootloader files on it,
change boot sequence in bios to boot from Windows boot Manager on Disk 2.

Execute from elevated command prompt. Regular command prompt will give error on last step.

diskpart
list disk
select disk 2
list partition
select partition x
(select 931GB partition, x=1 or x=2)​
srink desired=500
create partition efi
assign letter=H
exit
bcdboot c:\windows /s H:
After you have successfully booted from Disk 2, you can go ahead and delete bootloader partition on Disk 1.
diskpart
list disk
select disk 1
list partition
select partition y
(select 100MB efi system partition, y=1 or y=2)​
delete partition override

Solution

SunRoseAlice

Reputable
Aug 19, 2020
the unallocated space is only 16mb, you aren't missing a great deal.

Did you want to keep win 7 on the PC? As since you left the hdd with win 7 in pc and installed onto the new drive, windows 10 naturally added itself to the boot partition and made it dual boot.

My apologies, but I thought this thread was deleted by moderators. Shortly after I had posted it I was unable to find it again, even later on. I have switched the System back to the originally installed OS on the Intel 660p drive and cleaned the Samsung 970 EVO Plus using Diskpart. Everything is set back to when I fist installed the new drive.

The System has only run Windows 10 and while the Intel 660p and Samsung 970 are PCLe NVME SSDs, the Samsung 860 Evo is a 2.5" SATA SSD. The original System Drive is the Intel 660p. I want a single boot system to Windows 10 with a set up as below;

Samsung 970 Evo Plus: System Drive running Windows 10
Intel 660p: Main Storage
Samsung 860 Evo: Bulk Storage.

The issue is that I have an H1 Mini PC and the 660p is installed on the back of the motherboard, sandwiched by the GPU. This means removing the old drive to install windows on the new drive would take several assembly and disassembly steps that I hoped to avoid.