[SOLVED] Clean install of Windows 10 on new SSD

Rylankk

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
I have a HDD on my desktop currently with about 730gb of space used. I recently got a Samsung EVO 860 (1TB), and have backed up my important files from my HDD (I use Windows 7 right now, but want to use 10). I want to do a clean install on my new SSD. How would I go about doing that? And would I basically just unplug my HDD and put my new SSD in its place?

Solution

If you have your existing WIn 7 license key, you can almost certainly use that to activate your new Win 10 install in this system.

USAFRet

Titan

If you have your existing WIn 7 license key, you can almost certainly use that to activate your new Win 10 install in this system.

Reactions: Trey803
Solution

Rylankk

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
I see. So would you recommend to just unplug the HDD completely, and put the SSD in its place and then start up my computer? Also, I don’t think I have the license key anymore, so I would be installing Windows 10 from a CD most likely I think. Would I just put the CD in my computer with only my SSD connected, and it should start installing as my computer boots up?

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Before you do anything, install BelarcAdvisor, and see if it can retrieve your existing Win 7 license.
https://www.belarc.com/products_belarc_advisor

The best way to install Win 10 is via USB.
You can create your own USB install here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

So...
You've hopefully discovered your current Win 7 license key.
You've created a Win 10 USB to install with.

Disconnect the HDD
Connect the new SSD
Boot from the USB and follow the instructions in the link I posted above.

Rylankk

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
Okay thanks so much! In order to boot from the SSD, I would have to open the BIOS and choose the USB on the boot menu right? Or do I just start up my computer and it’ll do it automatically?

Also, say I can’t get my license key for windows 7. I would have to buy a new Windows 10 key because I would be prompted for a key when I use that Windows 10 USB installer right?

USAFRet

Titan
Okay thanks so much! In order to boot from the SSD, I would have to open the BIOS and choose the USB on the boot menu right? Or do I just start up my computer and it’ll do it automatically?

Also, say I can’t get my license key for windows 7. I would have to buy a new Windows 10 key because I would be prompted for a key when I use that Windows 10 USB installer right?
Depending on the boot order in your BIOS, you might not have to do anything.
If it fails to boot from the USB, check the BIOS.

Win 10 license?
Yes, you'll need one eventually. You can install without it and enter it later if desired.
Steer clear of shady cheap sites. Win 10 Home costs around $100. Find it much cheaper than that, it is not valid.