[SOLVED] Clean install of Windows on new m.2 SSD

arpitjjw

Commendable
Jun 24, 2019
My laptop has HDD of 1 TB which I have partitioned into two drives Local disk C and D of 478 GB ( 179 GB free) and 353 GB (164 GB free ) respectively . Also about 100 GB is partitioned for Ubuntu (dual boot) . C contains the OS and program files which I use D for data storage. After installing new SSD I have got a New Volume (E) of 232 GB . I want to clean install the windows OS on the SSD without losing any of my files on D drive . So I will backup my data in external drive but Is is possible to save Ubuntu ? I don't mind if it gets deleted . Please guide me or recommend me some video or link ?
Also I have read on some forum that for installing os on ssd I dont need to remove hdd . I will not be able to remove hdd so should I format it first ?

Last edited:
Solution
D
why can't you disconnect the HDD power? i am trying to save your Ubuntu and other stuff. if you must format it, go for it, but if it is connected, then windows will install boot loader files to it, and if it fails, you can't boot from SSD anymore until you repair it, if you can.

follow the guide
Clean install

and you will be happy and everything will work. don't listen to that other nonsense people told you
D

Deleted member 14196

this is easy, read this
Clean install Windows 10

basically, when you install to the SSD, don't have the HDDs connected at all or even powered on. Once windows is installed and booting from SSD and all devices work, shut down, and reconnect your HDD

D

Deleted member 14196

why can't you disconnect the HDD power? i am trying to save your Ubuntu and other stuff. if you must format it, go for it, but if it is connected, then windows will install boot loader files to it, and if it fails, you can't boot from SSD anymore until you repair it, if you can.

follow the guide
Clean install

and you will be happy and everything will work. don't listen to that other nonsense people told you

Solution

arpitjjw

Commendable
Jun 24, 2019
because I dont know how to and dont have screwdrivers . I dont want to go to some technician for this .

D

Deleted member 14196

well then, back up your data and format it. it's not like you can't put ubuntu back on the hdd later

arpitjjw

Commendable
Jun 24, 2019
well then, back up your data and format it. it's not like you can't put ubuntu back on the hdd later
I will follow this link .
As mentioned in the link
"If you have not disconnected all secondary drives as was suggested at the beginning of the tutorial, then be very careful to not accidentally delete any partitions from those drives by mistake. "
So I will take care of that . But what will happen now . Both the HDD and SSD will have windows . How will I remove the os from hdd and set it as secondary drive while ssd as the bootable drive . Assume I have the backup of hdd .

D

Deleted member 14196

at the very least, get all the new drivers you will need beforehand loaded on at least an usb, like chipset and gpu drivers, network card drivers, whatever you have that needs drivers. most drivers should be default installed and correct after a clean install though. you usually just need gpu drivers, maybe chipset drivers.

but you will not need to back up what is installed, just the installers of those drivers, for your convenience

arpitjjw

Commendable
Jun 24, 2019
at the very least, get all the new drivers you will need beforehand loaded on at least an usb, like chipset and gpu drivers, network card drivers, whatever you have that needs drivers. most drivers should be default installed and correct after a clean install though. you usually just need gpu drivers, maybe chipset drivers.

but you will not need to back up what is installed, just the installers of those drivers, for your convenience
please help me with this https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/transfer-boot-info-of-ssd-partition-from-hdd-tossd.3493150/