Clean Install on an SSD

ithilien22

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2013
So I did the free upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 last month, and it worked great for awhile but has started to have some major issues over the last few weeks. I think my best bet at this point is to go back and do a clean install, and I've been wanting to install a new SSD as well, so my plan is to do the clean install on the new drive when it arrives tomorrow.

I've already got an install usb created for Windows 10, and since I did the upgrade already on this computer, my activation should carry over (from what I've read). But the main concern I have is the process of "switching" an OS from one drive to another. Do I wipe the old HDD before setting up the new SSD? All of my files are backed up externally, so I'm not opposed to that idea, I just want to make sure I'm doing everything in the correct order.

I've never installed an SSD before, and I've never had more than one hard drive in my computer, so I'm very new to this process.

If anyone could help out with a step by step (including what external programs to use to set up/wipe the drives, if any are needed?), I would really appreciate it.

Installing on a ssd is just like on a hard drive.
The one caveat is to leave your hard drive disconnected during the install.
Otherwise, windows will install a 100mb hidden recovery partition on the hard drive complicating removal later.

After the install, you can reconnect the hard drive and you will have access to all files. Apps will need to be reinstalled.
You can delete old windows folders on the hard drive.

MassEffectIT

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
If you do have troubles with activation, you could also try and clone the old drive to the SSD, then reinstall Windows 10 "on top" of the faulty installation.
This should definitely preserve the activation.

But first - do a clean install as geofelt suggests.