Clean install still 100% cpu usage

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I am working on a pc currently that was experiencing very very slow response time. I reloaded Windows XP only to find it is still so slow it is unusable. I have swapped in a new HD, swapped ram chips with no effect. I notice the CPU usage is pegged at 100%. Nothing I do changes it. What should I check?

Solution
The only process that shows usage is the task manager while it's open. The pc hasn't been connected to the internet since the new install. Oh and I did an install from an xp disk. I don't have any dell disks... I pulled each ram chip independently and swapped in other chips with the same result. Yes I know it's an old unit but it's not mine. I am trying to repair it for someone. I can find 5 newer used models for sale right now but... thanks.

Are you sure you got the correct mobo drivers since you didn't use a dell restore disc? You may want to remove the drivers and start over. Something like driversweeper should get rid of the old ones. Then you can get the correct drivers from Dell's website.
sometimes a pc is just broken...and you need to let it go and move on with your life. given what you've done it's either the mobo or the ram, niether of which would be worth replacing.

but out of curiosity, did you install dell's software? or did you do a "clean" install. If you did the latter, I suggest loading the default dell software.

I agree with TC. Find out what the process name is.

BTW, what OS are you using? If its XP then that may be the problem. XP when its first installed (or an older OS) is very vulnerable unlike Vista that is more secure. That is unless you had XP w/SP3 installed.

but it sounds like you did a clean install and before you got a firewall/antivirus up something snuk its way in.

G

The only process that shows usage is the task manager while it's open. The pc hasn't been connected to the internet since the new install. Oh and I did an install from an xp disk. I don't have any dell disks... I pulled each ram chip independently and swapped in other chips with the same result. Yes I know it's an old unit but it's not mine. I am trying to repair it for someone. I can find 5 newer used models for sale right now but... thanks.

hit ctrl-alt delete click the processes tab, check under CPU, if everything is right system idle process should be taking the majority of your cpu.

Make sure you dl all the drivers from dell, even the seemingly stupid and useless ones. The dell setup disk may have had some tweaks to prevent this kinda thing.

You were in the "Applications" tab, you need to click on the "Processes" tab. Even on a clean, properly functioning install there will be quite a few processess running. Click the CPU column header to sort them by CPU usage and see which ones are using the most CPU.

processes.JPG

Good catch, I forgot to mention that.

All of your usage should add up to 100. How much is CPU usage for "System idle process"?

You say CPU usage is pegged at 100%, what makes you come to that conclusion? What is telling you that it's at 100%? Task manager?

If the "system idle process" is not taking up like 99 percent of your cpu then there would be your problem. System idle process tells the computers to slow down when there is no work load.

I gather you have downloaded all of your xp disk, see if you can find one an actual MS one to install with or try to download another.

joners

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Hi,

Im getting the same issue myself on an acer laptop.

Im running XP Pro Sp3 the disk install is a genuine one, that has been used on a few hundred machines where i work with no issues.

Im getting the SYSTEM Process Spiking at 99/100% constantly, it doesnt drop. However if i boot in to safe mode then its fine!

RAM/HD have been changed with no effect.

Fresh install of XP, never been on the net, nothing been plugged in to the system at all!

Im thinking that the CPU could be damaged, but then when im in safemode it doesnt happen. Im stumped!

Anyone got any suggestions?

Hardware: Acer Aspire 1640, 40Gb Ide HDD, 1Gb Ram.

Your problem sounds driver related. The main difference b/t normal windows and safe mode are the drivers that are loaded. But you should start your own thread for this.

Are you sure you got the correct mobo drivers since you didn't use a dell restore disc? You may want to remove the drivers and start over. Something like driversweeper should get rid of the old ones. Then you can get the correct drivers from Dell's website.

Solution

joners

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Just thought that i would add a little follow up to my post, different to the first issue that was reported here, but in case anyone else is having problems.

It appears to be related to Acer Laptops, and their batteries.

The ACPI has had issues with the battery, simply remove it and the CPU usage drops down to normal levels.

arnie074

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
As stated the only process that shows usage is the task manager. All others are at 00.
Hey did u ever resolve this i have the same exact problem have clean installed xp once already nd it takes about 5-8 hrs jus to reinstall nd im doin it now because i basically have no OS any suggestions....im totally stuck never seen anything lik this...culd it be the hardware

aireast

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
hello
im havin acer aspire 1522 with winxp pro sp3
i had same problem,
system process 100% cpu use age all time

i did some research about it

first thing i had two anitvirus b4. 1 of which i uninstalled .
i had bitdefender v10 and avg 8.5 which i uninstalled

even after that it was same

I had a clean install of os and antivirus no virus is detected even use spybot

So wen i went to safe mode everything was normal so i decided it must be a driver issue.

But b4 that i had a serious problem my pc used to reboot just after coming to desktop mode but in safe mode it was ok so it was not a hardware problem.

Then after i uninstalled avg it was ok there was some conflict. i also and removed the acer screen saver kept it disabled . when ever it was on pc used to get frozen and dint come out of screen saver for long may be it doesn't support on sp3 as its old.

Then i tried goin to windows update and updated everythin except a driver update even then there was no help so wen i checked for driver it was a canon printer driver. so i downloaded latest printer driver from canon .

So after that i updated and re started pc it is less than 100% cpu

so if u don't hav any virus on ur pc please check if ur usb driver is giving some conflict with system please update it . for me it was a printer 2006 driver now its june 2008 driver. past few hours its ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.