Question Clean install stuck

oosyrag

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2012
I've recently purchased an i3 12100f, msi pro h610m-g, and an sp m.2 nvme ssd to upgrade my PC with. Spent the last weekend trying and failing to get a clean install of Windows 10 onto the nvme. The installation always gets stuck at the "Getting ready..." screen, after the installation media has copied it's contents to the drive and booted from the drive.

The bios has been flashed to the latest update available. I've been able to install Linux Mint on the nvme drive no problem, but Windows 11 also fails. At least with windows 11 it kicks me out of the install with an error that says it can't be installed on this hardware instead of just getting stuck.

My old existing copy of Windows 10 on a sata SSD was able to boot fine after switching the bios to legacy mode. Using the mbr2gpt tool I was also able to boot in UEFI mode and subsequently upgraded to windows 11 without any issue. I'd like to go back to windows 10 with a clean install on the nvme though. During my installation attempts on the nvme this sata drive is not connected.

I've tried creating the USB install media directly through the Microsoft media creation tool as well as through the iso and flash to USB via rufus. I've also tried creating and installing both eufi and legacy boot versions of the install media. I don't think the install media or boot problems is the issue though, since the install media successfully copies to the drive and the subsequent boot into the windows installer is successful.

I've also tried resetting during boot a few times to get into windows re, and using the "reset this PC" option. The interface is a little different, but this approach gets stuck at 48% instead. My Ethernet is disabled and the USB is removed, only usb mouse and keyboard connected (tried taking those off once too). I've tried waiting it out for a few hours and overnight 4 times now, no luck. Each install I delete all partitions from the nvme into unallocated space and let the installer set the positions.

Any ideas? I'm pretty done with this.

I've recently purchased an i3 12100f, msi pro h610m-g, and an sp m.2 nvme ssd to upgrade my PC with. Spent the last weekend trying and failing to get a clean install of Windows 10 onto the nvme. The installation always gets stuck at the "Getting ready..." screen, after the installation media has copied it's contents to the drive and booted from the drive.

The bios has been flashed to the latest update available. I've been able to install Linux Mint on the nvme drive no problem, but Windows 11 also fails. At least with windows 11 it kicks me out of the install with an error that says it can't be installed on this hardware instead of just getting stuck.

My old existing copy of Windows 10 on a sata SSD was able to boot fine after switching the bios to legacy mode. Using the mbr2gpt tool I was also able to boot in UEFI mode and subsequently upgraded to windows 11 without any issue. I'd like to go back to windows 10 with a clean install on the nvme though. During my installation attempts on the nvme this sata drive is not connected.

I've tried creating the USB install media directly through the Microsoft media creation tool as well as through the iso and flash to USB via rufus. I've also tried creating and installing both eufi and legacy boot versions of the install media. I don't think the install media or boot problems is the issue though, since the install media successfully copies to the drive and the subsequent boot into the windows installer is successful.

I've also tried resetting during boot a few times to get into windows re, and using the "reset this PC" option. The interface is a little different, but this approach gets stuck at 48% instead. My Ethernet is disabled and the USB is removed, only usb mouse and keyboard connected (tried taking those off once too). I've tried waiting it out for a few hours and overnight 4 times now, no luck. Each install I delete all partitions from the nvme into unallocated space and let the installer set the positions.

Any ideas? I'm pretty done with this.
Since you have Linux Mint boot from its usb and use its Gparted app to examine your m.2. It should have a GPT identifier. You could also check your bios to make sure Secure Boot is enabled and CSM should be Disabled. The windows installer does prefer that you have your ethernet connected although its not essential but it would be better to leave it connected since you're having problems.

oosyrag

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2012
Thanks for the reply. Gparted shows the m.2 partition table as gpt. It does boot into the windows installer, the installer just gets stuck.

I have tried with and without Ethernet, it doesn't seem to make a difference. I feel like that's more for the issue with getting stuck at "Getting devices ready", which is the step immediately before "Getting ready".

Also for what its worth after hard resetting out of the stuck installation, upon attempting to boot again the exact message is "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click "ok" to restart the computer, and then restart the installation."